Day After Trinity - how's the transfer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Nicholls, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    The Day After Trinity came out under my radar about 8 weeks ago. I only found out about it by seeing the review in dOc today....

The dOc review said the transfer was pretty bad. Are there any more opinions about this one? As a documentary it's really very well done, and I'd like to retire my from-PBS VHS tape.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Haven't seen this DVD--it's the one about Dr. Oppenheimer, correct? I saw it on PBS. Excellent.

As a perverse sidenote: Last night I screened Trinity and Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie. Not the most insightful documentary, but the footage of those nuclear blasts is awe-inspiring--and frightening.

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Yes, it's all about Oppie. http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=3533
    IIRC this was a production of our local PBS affiliate (KTEH) here in San Jose.
    Too bad I was born a few years too late. I really would have liked to see an above-ground test at least once in my lifetime. I understand that "impressive" is a gross understatement.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Yes, actually the recent Ken Burn's bio Mark Twain is one of my very best 4:3 DVDs....but The Day After Trinity isn't marketed as a PBS video, merely an unreferenced Image disk. [​IMG]
    There are supposed to be several things that once seen change a person forever: seeing the Earth from space, standing on the Moon, and seeing a nuclear detonation in person.

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Too bad I was born a few years too late. I really would have liked to see an above-ground test at least once in my lifetime. I understand that "impressive" is a gross understatement.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Try finding and watching the doco "Radio Bikini". If that doesn't change your mind about wanting to see a nuclear test blast nothing will. To be suitably impressed, you would have to be close in relative terms. After watching that doco I wouldn't want to be within viewing distance of any nuclear blast, especially an above ground one.