What's new

Dawson's Creek Season 2 announced (and music replaced!) (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, there shouldn't be more than 4 episodes on a disc....although sometimes you can get away with 5 if there aren't any other extras.

Anything more makes the picture look like shit.

Gord

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I must agree quickly. I was noticing the problems even on my 19" flatscreen...

It's not completely horrible (frankly, I'd rather have them this way than not at all...) but it's a bug. Couldn't they possibly have pulled a 5 disc set? Slightly more expensive, but then they could have put....

1 - 4 episodes
2 - 5 episodes
3 - 5 episodes
4 - 4 episodes
5 - 4 episodes

Would it have been that much of a problem to just have one more disc? Some of these also tend to have problems from the source elements. I noticed quite a few scenes were only the footage from a single shot was horrible looking. Example... Andie and Pacey would talk. Whenever Pacey said something and the camera was on him, it looked horrible. In the same scene, when the camera was on Andie, it would look fine.

Quite possibly the worst TV show on DVD image I've ever seen... At least the colors and other things weren't too bad.

I've just got the last episode left, I can't wait for season 3, my last season. ;)

Watching this show again was like visiting an old friend I haven't seen in 5 years.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I can think is that Dawson's Creek wasn't selling as well as they had hoped, but if they cut costs they could continue releasing the series. This forced them to reduce the number of discs, and cut the music. The result is that we still get the show, but with some drawbacks.

Gord

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
That's what I figure too. Honestly, the music changes didn't bug me at all. There were just some instances where some songs seemed out of place, but they did a great job of picking music "from the time."

Some of the songs completely took me back..."Kiss Me" anyone? lol

Jari

Stunt Coordinator
I just wonder if regions 2 & 4 will get this set with more discs. I mean Season 1 was 4 disc release here.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Does anyone else find it very strange that both Buffy (Season 5) and Dawson's Creek (Season 2) cost EXACTLY the same price?

Well that is not the strange part. The strange part, is that Buffy has 6 DVDs where as Dawson only has 4. Buffy looks incredible, and Dawson looks hideous. Buffy's music hasn't been changed, while Dawson's has.

WHY ON EARTH ARE WE REWARDING COLUMBIA? I know I bought the Dawson set, because I love the show, but I feel so bad doing so, because we're only rewarding Columbia for putting this out horribly. Dawson's price is $35 and so is Buffy's, and yet the answer is clear - Buffy is far better done, in terms of picture quality (and more DVDS and more extras) than Dawson's Creek!

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
WHY ON EARTH ARE WE REWARDING COLUMBIA? I know I bought the Dawson set, because I love the show, but I feel so bad doing so, because we're only rewarding Columbia for putting this out horribly. Dawson's price is $35 and so is Buffy's, and yet the answer is clear - Buffy is far better done, in terms of picture quality (and more DVDS and more extras) than Dawson's Creek!
I know I've been very critical of Sony over the last year, in particular with the practice of releasing multiple versions of their titles and slapping a "Superbit" label on them to sucker people into double(or triple) dipping.

As far as Dawson's Crack is concerned, hasn't Sony been doing this with all their TV shows? Cramming way too many episodes on each DVD. Is there a reason for this aside from saving a few bucks by including fewer discs?

I'll at least defend them on the music changes. Buffy, especially in its earlier seasons, hardly ever used Top 40 material on its soundtrack. They always got obscure bands to contribute songs(some even played live at the Bronze). That oughta make it a lot easier to secure the rights for the DVD release. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for Dawson and its habitual use of the latest pop hits.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Season 2 of Dawson has a list price of $49.99. Buffy season 5 has a list price of $59.99

Dawson can be picked up for roughly $35 bucks, while most places charge an extra 10 for Buffy.

They've been doing this with a lot of shows, and I agree, it's really pathetic. It's hurting the quality. However, considering their recent actions...I don't think they care much about anything else.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Mitch, did U use Share the Love? that's probably where the 35 price came from. :)

STL prices for Dawson's creek are 29 bucks I think, 35 for dawson.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
For anybody who's interested what songs have been changed, there's a complete list available at dawsonscreekmusic.com.
To be honest, I was shocked how much music has actually been replaced, I'd say it's at least 70-80%. Even total no name bands had to be replaced. Interestingly enough, the only 2 episodes that didn't have any changes at all are the 2 episodes that have already been available on the R2 best of release (The Kiss, His Leading Lady). Maybe that explains why Barenaked Ladies survived in "His Leading Lady" while they have been replaced in "Rest in Peace".
I have never heard of a single of the "replacement" bands, and while I'm particularly sad that Amanda Marshall, Seal and the likes haven't survived (Springsteen and Alanis Morissette are still there though), I have to say that Stupin did a pretty good job and the new songs really fit the mood of the scenes they play in very well.

Chris

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Checked out that website. A lot of changes but they have left some decent songs in there too. I'm not a fan of Dawsons Creek but I like the song "Kiss me" by Sixpence none the richer. Nice to see Springsteen made the cut too. :D

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes Columbia TriStar doesn't make sense. Like when they released all 22 episodes of Mad About You Season 1 on 2 discs, and then later released the 9 episodes of The Tick on the same number of discs.

Really bizarre.

Gord

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Good Lord, that's a lot of music changes. What's bizarre is that Heather Nova's "London Rain" was kept in the first episode, but replaced in the 21st. How did that happen?

Oh well, it's times like this I'm thankful I wasn't that big of a Dawson's Crack fan. There's no way I'd buy these season sets with so much music replaced. Speaking of which, did the same thing happen with the first season box set? Cuz that one had just as many popular songs per episode.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Regarding season 1, there is one quasi-replacement. From www.dawsonscreekmusic.com:

Episode #110 - "Double Date" (a.k.a. "Modern Romance") "I Wanna Be Your Underwear" by Bryan Adams will be the song playing in the scene where Joey is outside the truck changing out of her wet clothes while Pacey is trying to sneak a peek in the sideview mirror.

When the episode originally aired in the US/Canada market, "I'm The Only One" by Melissa Etheridge was the song that was heard during that scene. Due to licensing issues, all other airings (internationally) did originally use the Bryan Adams song during that scene.

The rest is intact.

What's bizarre is that Heather Nova's "London Rain" was kept in the first episode, but replaced in the 21st. How did that happen?
Probably because the first episode has already been released on region 2 DVD and they most likely cleared that whole episode for an (eventual) worldwide release back then. Same goes for "His Leading Lady".

I was surprised to find that even the stuff that was on the soundtrack CD has been replaced on the DVD set. I never would have guessed they'd be that cheap. I would have been prepared for a list price of 70 bucks (same as the Alias sets in other words) if that would have meant more discs and at least most of the original music intact. But Columbia/Tristar's tactic for most TV on DVD stuff is pretty clear: Keep the price as low as possible, even if it means a serious decline in quality (picture or otherwise). And I guess this is particularly true for something with a primarily teen target audience as Dawson's Creek. I'm just glad that the new music has been selected by Paul Stupin and that it fits fairly well.

Chris

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i looked at the list of music replaced, and it's not as if it would have cost them that much to license that stuff. most of the artists aren't that huge and successful that they can ask for extravagant amounts of cash.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Robert, sometimes it doesn't matter how big the artist is, just how much money they want. Please don't try and guess how much money something costs to license because unless you're someone that licenses mucic for a living, you probably don't have any idea.

Gord

RobertW

Supporting Actor
oh, i'm sure, but i guess i'm just amazed that relatively unknown artists will make such outrageous demands for money that the studios can't pay it. sokmeone huge, i can see, but for relative nobodies? how greedy can you be?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Aren't there like no guidelines when it comes to music licensing? The artists could technically ask for however much $$$ they want...

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Isn't it the record companies who have the outrageous demands? I mean, what no-name artist with a record deal actually has the music rights to their own stuff? Even most big-name artists don't.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks