What's new

Dawson's Creek 5/14/03 Series Finale (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So it'll finally end tonight on the 2 hour series finale of Dawson's Creek.

Having OD'd on 4 hours/day of DC on TBS for the past month on TBS on the weekdays, it's been quite a ride for the gang from Capeside.

I find season 1 and 2 to be best seasons of the series. The college years were average, nothing too outstanding.

According to the promo's:

Tonight's finale sends us 5 years into the future, and one of the core 4 will die, and we'll find out if Joey chooses either Pacey or Dawson. Personally, I think Joey and Pacey were the most passionate of the 2 pairings, and hope that's how it ends for them.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My guess that it'll be Jen who comes down with some terminal condition, which will rally them all together for one final goodbye.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I'm thinking Jen will die, since the writers hate her so much she hasn't had a storyline in years.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I was originally thinking Grams would buy it (after all, they set her up with cancer over the past few eps), but now that they're saying it's one of the 4...

The other storyline is Joey's choice. If she dies, well, there's no choice. If either Dawson or Pacey kicks off, her choice is made. Therefore, it's gotta be Jen.

As for who she chooses, well, it's gotta be Dawson. After all, it's his damn creek!! :D

Having OD'd on 4 hours/day of DC on TBS for the past month on TBS on the weekdays
Y'know, DC has been a guilty pleasure of mine the past few years (gotta love Katie Holmes), but 4 hours a day, 5 days a week... :eek: I couldn't take it.

You are an ironman, Patrick!! ;)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Dammit...there just not wasting any time. I was at least hoping it would be a sudden kaboom in the last 15 minutes or so instead of prolonging it for the last 1.5 hours.

Clint B

Second Unit
Pretty good episode overall. I just recently got hooked on this series thru TBS and the WB. It does seem that the first two or three seasons were best, but unlike some people, I didn't think the later seasons were too bad. But now that it's over, I just wonder if Joey made the right choice by choosing Pacey.
After all, she did say that Dawson
is her "soulmate." Who knows if that would cause probems down the road.

OK--I'm pathetic, analyzing a fictional TV show as if it's real!

Gonna miss seeing Katie Holmes every week...that girl is hot!

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
I only saw parts of the episode. I got a question.

What exactly was the terminal condition that Jen dies from?

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
What exactly was the terminal condition that Jen dies from?
It was some type of heart condition.

Gotta say, the finale was a major downer. I knew somebody was going to die, but I didn't know it was going to be 90 minutes of doom and gloom. I had stopped watching this show a year or two ago (seemed to lose it's direction after they graduated high school), but my wife has still be watching, so I got dragged back in for the last few episodes. I don't think Joey should have ended up with either guy, would have been better if they'd just stayed friends. But if she had to choose, I think Pacey was the wrong choice.

D

DAN NEIR

I agree it was kind of gloomy. I mean damn, I thought Jen deserved better. They give her a kid and then kill her off, that's harsh. And the fact it took about an hour and a half really drained you. I also think if Joey had to choose, she should have been with Dawson. They're soul mates, it's like on Buffy, when all is said and done on both shows I expect to see Buffy with Angel.:D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What Joey said about her and Dawson was right, even though they are "soul mates", the passion between them isn't the same sort of passion that Pacey and Joey felt between them. The bond between Joey and Dawson is that everlasting platonic bond of love that comes from sharing the formative years together as basically siblings, not romantic interests.

I'm fine with Joey picking Pacey because for her, it was the right choice. It was the right choice for Dawson and Pacey as well.

Having Dougie finally come out of the closet after Pacey mocking him for 6 seasons was both cruel, and sort of expected given that long amount of setup.

I was expecting to see the Joey-Pacey kiss at Jen's funeral (the promos show both of them wearing black attire, so I figured it was at the funeral), but the actual show never gave us Jen's funeral, instead, it just skipped past it and got to the resolution of Joey/Pacey/Dawson, and Jack/Dougie.

There were quite a few tearjerker moments in this series finale. The scene where Grams whispers to Jen that she'll see her soon was heartbreaking. The scene where Jack makes Jen realize that they were each other's soul mates was also poignant. The video that Jen made for her daughter Amy was also very touching.

It was pretty obvious that Joey foreshadowed the same type of relationship was headed for Alexander and Lily in season 5, but to see Alexander climbing up the ladder was probably too much (way to go, Kevin Williamson, nice subtlety with the repeated cycles of friendship and love in Capeside).

The best line of the night was "The triangle has just become a square."

Too bad we don't get to see Dawson get hooked up to someone (besides the meet with Spielberg), but regardless of the name of the show, it was always about a girl, and her romantic choices. I guess I just hate the idea that Dawson might just end up single for the rest of his life.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I was torn wheter to watch this finale or the West Wing. Sounds like I missed quite a show. I only caught the part at the end with Joey/Pacey on the phone with Dawson.
So Joey chose Pacey? Hmm, I guess I was kinda rootin for Dawson, but I like Pace also. I thought the writers would of hooked up Dawson and Joey. Now I'm starting to think that Rachel and Joey (Friends) might end up hooking up together.

So Dawson made a show about his life in Capeside? Very Seinfeld-esque. Hopefully it will get replayed sometime over the summer.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Not a bad finale. It did take the phrase "self-referential" to a whole new level...

I agree with a lot of you in that the "Jen is dying" stuff went on way too long. It was also a little surreal, given that even at the end Jen was the healthiest-looking terminal heart patient I've ever seen on TV. But it was all redeemed with that final scene with Grams. Very moving, as was the scene when Jack told Jen he wanted to take care of her baby.

As for "the choice", I was rooting for Dawson, all the while knowing it would be Pacey. As Patrick said, the passion was with Pacey, and all the scenes last night emphasized that.

Other notes - kind of a back-of-the-hand sendoff to Audrey, and not a mention at all of Andie. Did Meredith Monroe do something to piss the writers off?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
TBS is showing Season 1 episodes starting this morning all over again (2 episodes/morning in the 10 a.m.-12 noon slot). Get that VCR/Tivo cranked up.

I can already see in a 10th year reunion that Pacey's wiley willie gets him in trouble once again because he simply can't say no to older women, and finally Joey gets tired of it, and Joey and Dawson finally get together. :D :D :D

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it, even though it was basically a downer for 90 minutes of it. I've got season 1 dvd's in my netflix queue since I only started watching it around season 3 or so. The little behind the scenes clips during the commercials was pretty cool too.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'd call it bittersweet, not really a "downer" in the truest sense of the word, just because of how death can sometimes be the catalyst that makes people sit up and make solid choices in how they want to use the rest of their time here.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
The scene where Grams whispers to Jen that she'll see her soon was heartbreaking.
I have never watched one episode of Dawsons Creek prior to last night, but I watched it with my fiance' last night who really wanted to watch.. So I did and I was in tears during that scene... very nice beautiful and touching scene.

-- Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks