Dawn of the Dead remake - 1st Review

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Joey Gunz, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Joey Gunz

Joey Gunz Second Unit

2. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

The fact that the review you posted is pretty positive doesn't surprise me. I think this remake looks absolutely spectacular, and it looks like it could very well be genuinely frightening as well. I was against a remake at first, but the trailer and the cast have caused me to do a complete turn-around, and now, this film is one of my most anticipated films ever. From all that I've seen and read, this remake looks to be a real winner, and a very possible new entry into the list of the elite remakes of all time.

Also, Sarah Polley is one of the most gorgeous women I've laid eyes on, and one hell of an actress to boot. She is so good at portraying the characters she does and giving them depth. I try and see everything she's in, as she's definitely one of my favorites. It really pleases me to see her in this film, and even cooler, in the latest issue of Fangoria, she mentions how much she loves zombie films. Too bad she's married, we'd be a perfect match!

Its good to know they are shooting a scarier ending, as I accidentally had the original one spoiled for me, and it can be improved upon.Either way, I'm so there opening day, first showing! Now I just need to find that awesome poster to buy.

3. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

I am looking forward to this, as I am a huge Dawn fan... but I with they would have just called it something else. I guess the whole remake thing is a little odd.... even when they are really good, they aren't the same thing and probably should just be called something else. I guess if they did that then everyone would just say it was a rip-off, so there really is no good way to do it. I still want to see this though, I think it will be pretty good. IMO nothing can touch the original though (it's my no.1 fav horror movie.)

4. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

my sentiments exactly.

5. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I had pretty mixed feelings when I first heard about this. Then I saw the trailer, and it creeped me right out. Haven't read this review yet...off to do it now! [​IMG]

...and yeah... lookin' forward to this one!

6. Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas Second Unit

Weren't the Zombies in the orginal DotD movie created by radition from venus? and in this one, it is a virus a la 28 days later?

7. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

No, I'm pretty sure they never explained why the dead rose in any of Romero's movies. The closest they got to an explanation was the "when there's no more room in hell..." line.

8. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Not really, the explanation was at least theorized as a strange radiation that was brought back by a space probe from Venus. In the original "Night of the Living Dead" the TV announcer says that could explain why Washington had called in scientists from NASA to investigate the situation of the zombie plague.

9. Joey Gunz

Joey Gunz Second Unit

I think it would be "scarier" if they never explained why the dead were rising. There really is no reason for us to know (not everything needs an explanation). If they kept it a mystery, then the terror would be amplified even more.

10. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

When does this open?

Edit: Nevermind...just saw the date on the poster in opening post.

And yes the trailer is awesome! Looking forward to this one. [​IMG]

11. Kachi Khatri

Kachi Khatri Second Unit

Jay
    From what the trailer looked liked it looks like this may turn out to be a rather serious/scary/suspensful.

However, often a movie appears that way in a trailer and then when you watch the movie you aren't supposed to take it seriously at all. I liked the Dawn of the Dead (1978) and hope that they don't make a joke of it.

12. Joey Gunz

Joey Gunz Second Unit

The very last line in the review says:

"The new Dawn of the Dead doesn't taint the memory of the original film, it honors it."

[​IMG]

13. Joey Gunz

Joey Gunz Second Unit

14. JonSpice

JonSpice Stunt Coordinator

I am tired of seeing such good movies as "The Battle of the Bulge" and "Damnation Alley" on Vhs when they could be on DVD. Do you want remakes or upgraded movies to DVD?[​IMG]

15. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

The scary part is that the reviewer actually liked the cinematic abortion that is the "new" Texas Chainsaw Massacre. If the new DOTD got a similar good review, I won't hold my breath on this film actually being good.[​IMG]

16. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I think there was a review at Aint It Cool News about 2 weeks ago and that one was positive as well.

17. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

I am really excited about this one. The trailer is scary as hell and gave me a nightmare. Luckily, I love zombie films so zombie nightmares are actually enjoyable for me.

I look forward to the changes. I always thought of Romero as being somewhat akin to Gene Roddenberry or George Lucas- they have some truly great basic ideas, but tend towards the cheesy which can undermine their works. But their basic concepts in the hands of someone else can be spectacular.

18. Joey Gunz

Joey Gunz Second Unit

Here's a new "Dawn of the Dead" remake poster. First time I've seen this one. It's a good one too:

[​IMG]

19. ColeKR

ColeKR Stunt Coordinator

Looks like Evil Ash from Evil Dead 2 is making a cameo in the movie.

20. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Having no bloodpressure gives the zombies such a rosey glow in this movie...... [​IMG]