Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead Special Editions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis_W, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

Anchor Bay has slated April 29th for a new Day of the Dead special edition. Specs have been announced for the 2 disc set.

A definitive Dawn of the Dead release has also been announced for this fall. There will be a box set containing the theatrical cut, director's cut, and European cut (Zombi).

But I cannot find either anywhere on the net and was wondering if anyone could find some more info on either release. By the way, info came from DVD File.

2. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

3. Travis_W

Damnit, Day of the Dead got pushed to August!
    I can't wait for the Dawn of the Dead DVD(s) but it seems all these releases keep getting pushed like how Meet the Feebles was pushed to summer 2004 from fall 2003.

4. Travis_W

BUMP

5. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Is there any reason you bumped this besides the fact that you started the thread?

6. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Specs will be known when Anchor Bay announces them. Bumping the thread won't make this go any faster, although I wish it would.

DJ

7. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

You know they're both coming, you know they're both going to kick ass, so what's the desperation to know precisely what's going on the discs?

8. Travis_W

I only bumped it because I thought maybe some people with new info missed the message. I know they're both going to rule but seeing as how Dawn was originally slated for Summer then Fall and Day was slated for sure on 4/29 and now in August I'm a little worried. I do have the original non-anamorphic Day disk and it's not pretty with the immense grain and all.

9. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Perhaps this is a good time to get my more Day of the Dead friendly compatriots to convince me why I should buy it. My recollection was that it wasn't much of a film, especially in comparison to Night and Dawn. And completing the trilogy doesn't count. [​IMG]

10. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

DAWN is awesome. What more can you ask for? Zombies in a mall!

DAY is just ok.

11. AaronMan

AaronMan Second Unit

Aaron
    Zombie effects! That's why I have it in my collection. And of course, Joe Pilato personifies over-the-top-acting as Captain Rhodes!! He was brilliant. But yeah, its no Dawn of the Dead. Too bad "Day" was the weakest of the three. But for me, the effects make up for the lack of a good story. I'll watch Day of the Dead over Resident Evil any day though.

So we get the European cut on top of the Director's and theatrical cuts for Dawn of the Dead? Awesome! I can't wait! This is my favorite horror film.

12. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I disagree completely. While I love all three films, DAY is easily the best and strongest of the trilogy in my opinion. It is the epitomy of underrated.

13. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

You can't just say that and leave it there Justin. Help make your case, as that is a bold statement in light of the company it keeps.

14. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

While I don't think that DAY is the best of the series, I do think it's a very good movie. The effects are top-notch, there is some decent Black Humor, the story is interesting. Its only weakness, IMHO, is that Romero didn't have the budget to do it as big as he wanted, so it's slightly scaled-back from DAWN. If you forgive the limitations of the budget, it's still quite enjoyable.

15. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

Joe Pilato ruins Day for me. His performance consists of having a constant sneer on his face whilst speaking very slowly. He instils no menace in his character, and because of this his glorious death scene ("Choke on 'em!") is not as much fun as it should be. Everyone else acts him off the screen in Day. And even his brief appearance in Dawn (longer in the 'director's cut') is terrible.

Still, I'll be buying the SEs of both movies when they arrive, regardless of the prescence of a certain actor...

16. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

17. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

18. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

"and humanity seems a whole lot worse than the zombies. A bleak film."

I think that was the point of the film. The one that that I hate is the zombie who talks and uses a weapon. To me it betrays what a zombie is, a mindless automaton who operates only on instinct and a desire for human flesh.

19. Travis_W

Dawn is the ultimate and it was quite a tought act to follow if you ask me. But Day serves as a look at the final outcome and it came across as a very depressing and bleak movie....well I don't know about as deep as depression.

Joe Pilato kicks ass! In Day anyway, who can remember this classice line:

"I'm running this monkey farm now, Frankenstein, and I want to know what the $%$^ you're doing with my time!"

Or his famous end quote:

"Choke on it...choke on it!"

Rhodes and the zombie effects made the film in my opinion, plus the opening scene in the zombie filled town kicks ass.

Does anyone else here have the now discontinued Day disc?

20. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor