What's new

david subwoofer (1 Viewer)

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
i have seen these subs at costco here (edmonton, canada)but have not been able to find out any info about them. are they their 'own' brand, re-badged from another manufacturer, good, bad or ugly?
any info greatly appreciated.

Patrickt

Auditioning
I was thinking of buying this sub from costco also. I can not seem to find much info about this either. Finally decided to get the Sony WM40, since it is highly recommended by most people on this site.

I did the polyfil mod, and it sounded great.

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, Joe:
(where you goin' with that gun in your hand?) :D
Hah!
Are THESE the subs you are referring to?
They look pretty nice to me....
What do you more knowledgeable members think?
How would these compare to that WM40 Sony? (Which I am also considering)
Roy

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
The David 301 claims 25-150 Hz at +/- 3db, which is quite impressive. My SA-WM40 has never head of 25 Hz. Of course we're also talking about manufacturer specs... What is the priceing on these at Costco?

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Last price I saw was $289CAN at Costco. For the money, these subs are good. My future father-in-law has one of last year's models and it performs very well. For this price you could get two or three!!

Season's Greetings

Steve

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
yes, yes, yes, that's them!

i have a psb sub in my set-up but a buddy just got one of these d-box subs from his wife for christmas. i was curius about them and the sound they produce. unfortunately, my friends have gone on holidays for a few weeks and i won't be able to hear his 'new' set-up for awhile.

when i do i'll report back if people are interested.
thanks for the site, i'm gonna do some investigatin' now.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
This sounds like a nice subwoofer that is being offered by Costco to their Canadian customers. Here in the U.S., we are stuck with only the KLH subwoofers at our Costco stores. I'd love to have the option to pick up a "David" for a bedroom system.

I messed around with one of the KLH subs a few years back - and the amp died on me on the 29th day of ownership, so it was returned.

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
I have had the David 302 (replaced now by the 303, with the same amp but different cosmetics) for 6 months. As a person putting together a home theater on a budget, the 302 was just what I was looking for. It fills my 13' x 19' room with lots of bass. Lord of the Rings is an excellent test disc and it literally shook the whole room. And that was with my receiver set to -30db. Reference level on my receiver is -12db. The 302 weighs in at 55lbs, which to me indicates solid construction and internal bracing. I used the S&V test disk to calibrate my speakers. Afterward I did the subwoofer sweep and found that the 302 was putting out 80db @ 20hz. Keep in mind that is with the volume knob set at less than half of total volume. A D-Box rep told me that the 302 can do 95+db @ 25hz. There are a lot of excellent subs out there, and I would love to own an SVS, but for my budget, the 302 was right for me.
Hope this helps.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
All these years I have never heard of D-Box (closed minded?) anyway I went to their site spent about two hours reading about everything from the "Mamoth" down to the 301 or 302 that you all are talking about.
I was much impressed with what I read, I am looking to upgrade my speakers and I will spend a lot more time looking at the "Illiad" series, they look good for the first time seeing them. I was impressed with D-Box's site not full of "hype", appeared to be realistic and what reviews they directed me to appeared very informative. Anyone with first-hand experiance with these HT speakers??

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the David 301 for about 1.5 years now, and while I have very little to compare it against, I have found it to be very good for the $289 I paid for it at Costco.

It is certainly enough to get me into trouble with the wife, and it has enough oomph to make you want to re-adjust the knick-knacks on surrounding shelves to elminate rattling.

Does it compare to some of the subs I've heard at specialty shops? Nope. But those subs cost three times as much!

In my opinion, you'd be hard pressed to find a better way to spend budget subwoofer money in Canada.

Derek

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm I live in edmonton I should maybe look into these... Would you say i should get these or the JBL PB10? I have a thread about that near the top. A quick answer would be great because I think our membership is about up, and I dont think we are renewing it:frowning:

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Reid K,

Give the d-box a try. Costco's return policy is so good you can't lose. The Sony mentioned earlier is decent and can be had for a similar price, but perhaps can't go as low.

Good Luck,

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks