What's new

David Skal Commentaries/Special Features (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching Freaks and loved David Skal's commentary/documentary that's included. I also enjoyed the work he did on many of the Universal Monster Legacy sets. Has he done other commentaries or special feature documentaries? Is anyone familiar with his writing? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Mike D

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know if he's done other commentaries, but a couple of his books worth finding are The Monster Show: A Cultural History of Horror and Hollywood Gothic: The Tangled Web of Dracula from Novel to Stage to Screen

And check his profile at IMDB for more of his work.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I bought "The Monster Show" along time ago based on reccomendations, but I've never read it. I bought the biography on Tod Browning "Dark Carnvial" also. That one I read and loved, although that was ten years ago. His DVD supplements have always been great in my book.

Kenny Neal

Stunt Coordinator
Skal's "The Monster Show" is a great book if you're looking for an overview and history of the horror genre. I've read it a couple times and will probably read it again one day-- it's very informative and well-written.

Kenny Neal

Stunt Coordinator
While we're on the subject, Stephen King's "Danse Macabre" is another book that covers horror well, and not just movies. As a non-fiction writer, King isn't quite as clear and straightforward as Skal, but obviously it's an area few know as well as he does.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks