What's new

David Lynch's Dune...will we ever see a SE (1 Viewer)

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw this DVD for a great price the other day but held off buying it because it's non-anamorphic and has no "real" extras.

Has anyone here heard of it being slated to be released as a Special Edition?

I would also like some comments on the transfer and sound from those of you who do have the DVD.

Thanks for your time and comments.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Contrary to popular opinion, David Lynch doesn't hate extras (look at the director-approved discs of Blue Velvet, The Elephant Man and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me), but not to the same extent as, say, David Fincher or Kevin Smith.

He does, however, hate this film and has disowned it.

Brad Eisenhauer

Stunt Coordinator
He does, however, hate this film and has disowned it.
I know that he's had his name removed from the extended cut of the film (if I remember correctly, he had nothing to do with creating it,) but has he disowned the regular cut as well, the one currently available on DVD? It still bears his name, so far as I know.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I will only buy an SE that has the superior Alan Smithee edit on it, in widescreen, preferably with the redundant extreme left/right battle scene padding removed

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
I know Lynch doesn't want to touch the movie again after the way he was treated, but for heaven's sake, get over it. You have a chance now to make the film the way you like it (since Universal is aware of the ever growing fan base it has now), so quit it and make it something you DONT hate. Isn't that better than remaining bitter?

Just because you were screwed a long time ago doesn't mean you have to scoff at a chance to make it better today.

Luc D

Second Unit
I absolutely love this film even though I still think its a complete failure (but still the greatest failure in film history) and I have the bare bones disk. I would be surprised if an SE would be released as the very small cult following the film has probably doesn't make it a priority over at Universal. But hey, I'd buy an SE in if they were to release one.

As for the disk they have out now, I haven't watched it in over a year but I don't remember it being too bad. If you really like the film then get it.

I'm more concerned with when Eraserhead and his shorts will be released to people who aren't members of davidlynch.com. I love Lynch but I'm too poor/cheap to pay 10 bucks a month (U.S.).

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Although the notion would probably bore the hell outta Lynch (*and I can't blame him), I also sorta wish he'd revisit DUNE for one last cut. Despite the weaknesses in parts of the film, there are moments of absolute brilliance and pure magic. It's sad that only after seeing the thoroughly antiseptic sci-fi miniseries did I start to appreciate just how close Lynch approached greatness... and I can't help but think it could be brought closer...

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I know Lynch doesn't want to touch the movie again after the way he was treated, but for heaven's sake, get over it. You have a chance now to make the film the way you like it
I don't think Lynch is interested in revising Dune. Dune is his Spartacus. Forget it, move on.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I know Lynch doesn't want to touch the movie again after the way he was treated, but for heaven's sake, get over it.
it's an easy position for an outsider to take, but Lynch apparently has some very painful memories of the process which he'd rather not revisit. he's not remaining bitter in the face of an opportunity to correct certain problems, he's just not interested in going back to it. he already has, as you put it, gotten over it. revisiting the film would be the exact opposite of getting over it.

DJ

edited to fix spelling

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
It's very much like David Fincher and Alien 3 - beg him all you like, but at the end of the day, he's simply not interested.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I too wish they'd put out a *real* director's cut of this film. Not that cheezy 4-hour "fake" director's cut...but maybe just insert a few of the key scenes back in (like where pual fights a fremen and takes the "water of his life" etc.).

In any case, it should be re-released in 16x9 with a proper transfer. This is one severe case of a transfer/master done with only laserdisc in mind that's been dumped on DVD.

-dave

RayG

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe someday Universal will want to revisit this film. I know when they restored Spartacus Kubrick wasn't directly involved, but he did supervise some redubbing of restored scenes. I think for anything to happen Universal will have to step forward. Lynch spent three years making Dune, and as was said before it was not the happiest of experiences for him.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Lynch should do a commentary. He thinks that commentaries are "baloney" but for DUNE it would be very interesting to listen to him give a 'no-holds-barred' commentary. But from what he says, I think watching DUNE again would be too painful for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks