What's new

David Lynch's DUNE--new DVD (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Think we'll get DTS?

And, if somebody says it wasn't released in DTS, I'll shoot them. Wasn't released in Dolby Digital either.:D

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The Bits list the Extended version as 177 mins, DVD Times list it at 190-at any rate, a BIG surprise that the alternate version is going to be 2.35 widescreen

DaveMK

Agent
Let me get this straight, they are going to legitimize the "Smithee" version? The only other instance of such stupidity, that comes to mind, is the official release of the Star Trek The Motion Picture 'special longer version' that included shots of an uncompleted set with the stage rafters showing.
The Smithee version is OK for a tv viewing, but to release it on dvd is madness. It is too flawed. I've been dying for a Lynch or another party to properly reedit the movie for almost 20 years, but not this. Is it absolutely confirmed that it will be the Smithee version? Restorations and reedits of movies without the original director's input, has been done before, why just slap the greatly flawed tv version on dvd? Money or laziness/ Or does somebody think that some fans like this version as-is.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
176 mins is supposedly the Smithee version length which the Bits' time would indicate is what we're getting.

DVD Times' suggests something...else.(in my best young OB1 dialect)

DTS!!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Nice to see good use of a DVD-18 too. Though I won't be crushed if they have problems making enough and have to give me a 2-disc set with nifty disc art, as so often happens.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The Alan Smithee version in widescreen? Wow! Great news for all true Dune fanatics, but I'll have to see it with my own eyes to believe it.

Hopefully one day Lynch will give us an official directors cut, but I ain't holding my breath, he isn't particularly fond of the film. Until then if this turns out to be true I'm more than happy.:)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
DaveMK, you're my hero! :)

Lynch took his name off the extended version of the movie, I think that's indicative of he feels about that version. The re-edit changes the director's vision of the film, it's nearly the same thing as pan and scan. If Lynch was involved with the extended version, I wouldn't see a problem with it but putting a version of the movie he doesn't feel is 'his' is messed up.

That being said, I can totally see why fans are pumped to see the scenes. But the scenes should be on the disc as a supplement not a new version of the movie.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
The folks at the Bits are reporting deleted scenes, SFX featurettes and "more". I'm officially geeking out. Special features? DTS sound? Widescreen Alan Smithee cut? :eek:

I didn't expect nearly so much effort to go into this release... this sounds like a truly great DVD, rather than just a geekdom event.

Take my money now! :D

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Any chance of an Alien 3 scenario here? this is Universal so I doubt they'd manage something of that caliber.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

I haven't chatted with Lynch on his web site in a while, but the last time Dune was brought up, he said he would *never* revisit that film.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
I hate the fact that David has disowned this troubled, beautiful movie. Reminds me of another David who disowned his own troubled, beautiful movie.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Surprised this isn't two-disc... but at least the extended cut's in widescreen.

Joe:C

Second Unit
Deleted Scenes!!!:) I guess we'll finally get the scenes that didn't make it into the Alan Smithee version(like the Thufir death scene). How can they release the Smithee version in widescreen? I believe some of the "new" shots were just different sides of a panned-n-scanned image.
What kind of case will this be in? The release info says a metal snap case. I hope this doesn't mean a snapper like Warner Bros. used to use. Here's hoping for a nice 2-disc set and not a flipper.

For more info on the cut scenes go to duneinfo.com. Its got tons of information on Lynch's Dune and every other version(including the ones that never got made). Someone can post a direct link if they'd like.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Gosh, David Lynch being the first director of the two David(s) to disown their movie after heavy producer/studio interference on a major Sci-fi picture. Not wanting to revisit the material since it’s too painful for him. A similar fate would befall David Fincher on Alien3. Him not wanting to revisit it for it’s too painful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks