What's new

David Lynch's DUNE--new DVD (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Jo_C

Second Unit
Without even trying to duplicate my late-and-soon-to-return DUNE web site which explains in detail the changes in the extended version, I'll try and answer your queries in very brief statements...

First, Bob says...
"2 firsts occurred last night, as I watched the extended version; the 2nd of those being an understanding as to why Lynch had his name removed as director. The term "extended" is a misnomer; it should be "extended, altered, and deleted". I'd appreciate anyone, with inside knowledge, explaining why the following took place:

1.A different actor, from the theatrical version, seems to be used for the navigator's voice at the beginning, but then in a brief flashback, it's back to the movie voice."

To cover the extended scenes, a different voice had to be used since there was obviously no further looping beyond the dialogue you hear in the theatrical release. The "new" actor may have gone from either an earlier script or a new one written for television.

Then, he says:
"2.Approx. 1/2 of the Baron's introductory scenes are cut."

Much of that material that was cut (such as the pins in one of the character's eyes, the doctor's surgery on the Baron, and the heart plug removal) was for television standards.

Next, Bob says:
"3.During the Harkonnen invasion, the scene of the weirding modules having been destroyed's missing."

Part one of the television version ends with the wierding modules destroyed. It is moved up to that point to divide the first half from the second. This section was taken out so as to have the entire extended version to play straight on through without breaks...this is how it played on the Disney Channel and the Sci-Fi Channel.

Next, Bob says:
"4.The desert "water of life" sequence's considerably shortened."

Again, this is another case of scenes cut for television for broadcast standards...obviously, Universal didn't want TV audiences to be burdened with nosebleeds.

Finally, Bob asks,
"I'm sure I've not caught all the deletions, but I simply ask WHY?"

As soon as I can fine-tune my site again, I'll have it up on the Internet. But for now, I hope I've answered some of your questions...

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
Jo,

Thank you for a prompt reply to my query; one that was both thorough and logical. Please keep me in mind for when you're able to reactivate your site.

As a lifelong businessman, I realize it's often necessary to make unpopular decisions, but some of these movie folks seem to have their heads up their asses. In my opinion, constructing the extended version should've been a no brainer. Assuming I'm correct that Dune appeals primarily to men, why waste several mins. on story boards, when that time could've been allotted to a stunningly attractive Virginia Madsen, in the expanded prologue?

Bob Engleman

Curt_B

Agent
anyone compare the R1 theatrical DVD transfer to the excellent French edition?
and whats the PQ of the 'extended' (R1) cut?

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
I rented it by way of Netflix, for I'm not sure if I'm going to like it. Even more hesistant about the mentioned DVD problems.(I'm a big fan of the 3 disc mini-series SE).

Anyways, I get it today and lo and behold it's a 2 Disc set!! They designate on the DVD the disc number and nowhere on the DVD's is it stated for rental only. They are black discs with Dune: Extended Edition in white lettering on them. Since these exist I hope Uni changes the disc formation soon. HTH.

RonaldB

Auditioning
Timmy_P, Netflix often gets special single-sided releases of movies. What surprises me is not that they had a 2 disc release of a DVD-18 but that Netflix got a re-release title in the first place and that they counted it as 1 rental instead of 2. Netflix rarely gets re-releases, so I never understand why on rare occasion they do this.

The ones you got probably are all one color (no artwork on them) and say not for resale. If I thought I could call up Universal to exchange my Dune DVD-18 for a 2 disc set like Netflix gets, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

By the way, to the poster who said that this was a pretty good version other than dirt/debris that should've been cleaned up, I'd like to add that the Extended edition's DD 5.1 is pretty weak and that should've been worked on to make it match the quality of the theatrical side. Fix those issues and go to 2 DVD-9s then I wouldn't have been disappointed.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
agreed. the R1 Theatrical version has a lot of dirt specs and white specs (aka negative density)
The French version is solid, crisp and virtually free of these artifacts.

(I borrowed a copy)

And the Extended version, (excepting the rather insipid prologue,) is very good in most spots.

>>Assuming I'm correct that Dune appeals primarily to men, why waste several mins. on story boards, when that time could've been allotted to a stunningly attractive Virginia Madsen, in the expanded prologue?
--
Good god, yes!-it seems that most of her parts were cut. Her full prologue is in the deleted scenes, though...

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Man, I really want to open my DVD up, but I am wary because it says "Made In Mexico" on the back of the factory wrap. So, again, I ask, has anyone seen any of these DVDs without the telltale stamp on the back? If so, what stores (both a Circuit City and an FYE I've been to have Mexican stamps). I'd rather return this one and try my luck with one made in the U.S.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
My case had Made In Mexico sticker on the wrap and I just viewed the Theatrical version last night on a Sony DAV-DX150. No issues here! Also all copies on the shelf at Best Buy (approx. 20) had the same sticker. Where else are some of the DVD-18s made besides mexico?

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
''The ones you got probably are all one color and say not for resale.''

They are one color like I said but they look like any regular 2 disc set out there since they don't mention "not for resale" or any other warning. They have all the usual universal icons on it though, Dolby ,Uni, DVD, AR, etc.

''If I thought I could call up Universal to exchange my error-laden Dune DVD-18 for a 2 disc set like Netflix gets, I'd do it in a heartbeat.''

It was worth a mention.

Universal needs to hear the complaints from everyone!

Elijah

Supporting Actor
The following is a side by side comparison of the 3 major recent releases. I have in no way altered the image quality/colour/contrast... on any of these images, and have saved the final file from Photoshop in an uncompressed PNG format. The only change that had to be made was in re-sizing the grab for the UK release (which had been artificially blown-up for the site they were hosted on).

I hope this might be helpfull to some people. I know links to the review sites which originally posted the screengrabs can be found further up in this thread, however I thought this might be of use for those jumping in on the end of this thread, or for those who, in the years to come look back here to find out which version to buy (which I do for other DVD's quite often).

Notes:
1. The French screen grabs come from here, and not here as the second site appeared to have "bad grabs".
2. Also, this is the only grab that shared the same scene from all 3 versions. Perhaps someone can take some from the UK versoin and we can do another comparison with additional scenes.
3. I labeled the grabs by how they are most commonly referred to.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Remember too that any PAL disc has a greater inherent chance to be sharper as they have 576 lines of res. vs: NTSC's 480. Mo' detail.

And I do believe some people got copies of "The Frighteners" that were made in Taiwan with no problems.
On 2 other Forums, DVDTalk and AVSForum it seems that slightly more than 50% of people are getting problems discs.
Also, don't just think because you've watched one side of the disc with no probs that U are in the clear. U need to check all of both sides. I didn't find out about my wonky Abbott and Costello disc until too late to retuen it.

;) d

Todd McF

Second Unit
Hmmm... So where is the best place to buy the french version? Also can I disable the french subtitles?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Here's the most recent Region 2 theatrical version Elijah:

And this shot from the newly remastered 'Alan Smithee' version, Region 1:

And side a, the recently released theatrical version, region 1:

Elijah

Supporting Actor
Steve, I would have never expected it to be you who would post more screengrabs :rolleyes:;)

I will put these guys together, however it looks like the grabs you have for the recent R1 dont match the ones I got off the other site(s). Me being colorblind doesnt help much (did I just say that out loud??!), but I will see what they look like side-by-side.

Thanks again friend.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
There are differences between shots Elijah because they use PowerDVD and I use WinDVD, with PowerDVD the shots are either too bright or too dark, which is why I switched to the far better WinDVD.

A shot from a scene only seen in the 'Smithee' version:

Nice to see these scenes in widescreen for the first time. :)

And another from the 'Lynch':

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
You're killing me here. I was planning on postponing purchase on this until HD disk release next year, but now I find myself repeating

"Why would they want the Duke's son killed?"

and contemplating a trip to Costco this weekend.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
GET OUT OF MY MIIIIIND!!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to be a true HD believer...but you're gonna make me FAIL and buy this disc if you keep posting those gorgeous screen-captures!!!!!!

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I've never seen this film and was thinking about renting it. Can anyone briefly tell me what the differences between the versions are? Specifically, whether the extended version adds or takes away from the movie, if it's different from the TV edit I've heard about, and which version is the best? Or if it's been covered, just direct me to a post with the info?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks