What's new

David Lynch First Timer (1 Viewer)

Seth_B

Grip
Thanks Rich! Soon I will be up to my 15 posts where I can do that myself. I didn't have to watch a commercial and I am not a subscriber, so I think all is safe there.

That is a very good article in my opinion. I watched the movie about three times and loved it. Reading the article afterwards allowed me to sort of fill in some of the blanks that I couldn't figure out on my own, although Salon admits that some things they are not even sure of. You have got to love Lynch.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Reactions to:
Dune – theatrical version
Lost Highway

I suppose since I’ve seen the never-ending story version of Dune, I’ll start with movie I never saw in any form. Lost Highway. Must say I’m obsess with this man’s genius because just before the move ended I told myself I was going to become angry if the film ended at this point. Ironic it did end at that point in the film and I was somewhat all but disappointed. Maybe because I realized that the over story meant nothing after Balthazar Getty came into the picture and the film stayed with him so long I was actually pissed to see Bill Pullman’s face again. At that point I knew the movie was over. Somewhere I read originally this film would’ve been three hours but due to studio demands for commercially viable length, but my question is sine when was David Lynch ever commercially viable except with TV’s Twin Peeks?
Btw I like this movie a lot. It’s also a film that has me thinking Lynch’s weakest movie is Wild At Heart, which at the end of the day it probably is.

On to Arrakis also known as Dune. The theatrical version has a much better opening prologue. I felt like a kid watching it as though I were at the observatory in Griffith Park. I can’t believe that they don’t try and make films this exciting any more. Yes this movie still has faults what humanly created thing doesn’t. The major revelations to me were with the differences in color timing. The Lynch cut has subdued palette and it caries the movie with a murky quality. In direct contrast the TV version is so bright and golden like a coloring book. Segway back to Lost Highway Fincher should really work with cinematographer Peter Deming because the blacks in that movie are perfect. Nothing can be seen unless somebody has a flashlight. Now that had a truly creepy feel that made darkness scary again for once in the movies. Back to Dune the editing is so well executed and shows even a compromising Lynch movie isn't always a bad thing. Except the dreaded third act that is the biggest rush job since God knows fill in the blank ___ people?

I’ll be done once I see TP: FWWM, Elephant Man, the Straight story and Eraserhead. Oh bully for me!

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Now you need to see "The Straight Story" and "The Elephant Man". The David Lynch world you've built for yourself after watching such films as "Lost Highway" and "Blue Velvet" will be completely turned upside down.

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised by all the hits "Lost Highway" is getting. That was my favorite until "Mulholland Drive" came along. Right behind them is "Wild at Heart."

I think these three are at the heart of what Lynch is, for me. So intense, jagged, emotional. One of the great things film can do is become dream-like, and that is what these films are, at least at times - have that surreal quality.

After that, you have "Blue Velvet" and "Twin Peaks:FWWM," which to me are twisted in a Lynchian way, but more mainstream. BV is still a classic, though, and TP is certainly good. But *more* mainstream.

But of course, it depends on what you want out of films. "Elephant Man" for me is so much more ordinary than any of those mentioned above, and yet is one of the first mentioned by so many! It has some good imagery, for sure - his grotesque appearance is unique - but I watched it, thought it was pretty good, and then moved on.

So then, in my estimation, "Elephant Man" and "Straight Story" are good efforts that serve the purpose of rounding out his body of work - he is versatile. But they do not define him (I think this is a sentiment echoed throughout this thread).

Just my two cents.

N

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
So then, in my estimation, "Elephant Man" and "Straight Story" are good efforts that serve the purpose of rounding out his body of work - he is versatile. But they do not define him (I think this is a sentiment echoed throughout this thread)
That's what I meant by my comments above. He has been watching the same types of Lynch movies... except for maybe "Dune", which he has mentioned seeing. When he watches "Elephant Man" and "Straight Story", he will be even less able to categorize exactly what style of director Lynch is.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
The Elephant Man for me in the beginning was synonyms with Michael Jackson buying his bones. I was frightened as kid knowing there once lived a real elephant man. Years later I became aware that he was a regular man who had a deformity that caused him great abuse from the public most of his life.

Studying the great David Lynch I found out this was his major studio debut. This film also spawned eight Oscar nominations and won none, like most well deserving films: The Color Purple. I read an interview where Mr. Lynch said this film came about through Eraserhead and Elephant Man gave way for Dune. As I notice they Elephant Man ended is where Dune began. Both pictures have a woman giving a monologue a mist stars, blackness and haze.

On to the movie, I rented a VHS copy because renting DVD(s) are too expensive at my video store. I knew this film is a Panavision scope 2.35:1 picture. However not insight issue on this form I was shocked at how well composed this movie looked altered for TV. The letterbox version I’m sure will be a revelation for the eyes. The rental is for five days and just today I finally finished the movie.

It was difficult for me to watch this film with the state of baited breathe like other Lynch works. Because this movie is not like other Lynch works. Yet it’s the most bizarre and tragic-beautiful movies I had a chance to watch. Lynch did something every contemporary director tries to do when they make a period piece, attempt to create the feel a classic era throw back.

Generally I hate movies of the nature of human cruelty of the handicap. These films create a consent-feeling, look I’m different and human nature is so cruel. I know how cruel human nature can be I suffer from depression. Great film all and all but this movie is not easy repeat viewing.

Btw people, my video store doesn’t carry Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, and Eraserhead. Sucks don’t it? Another side note since we’re getting “Wild At Heart” anytime soon now, I’m not sure if I care that it’s not going to be a special edition in R1. I just give me a pretty picture of the US theatrical cut that Mr. Lynch supervised in OAR.

Peace,
Marcus

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I have seen most of David Lynch's movies, but I have never owned any of his movies on DVD yet. My Mulholland Drive movie review (at ENTERLINE MEDIA) is the page where I went crazy with the design of it and left some surprises. Now we turn back to the topic and I have to say you have to see Blue Velvet. This is probably one of the few David Lynch movies that I would want on DVD.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know if this is the right thread for this, or if it's already been covered somewhere else, but it seems as if the eventual R1 release of "Wild at Heart" is going to be more or less bare-bones. I have no idea why MGM would skimp out on bonus material, especially after the wonderful job they did with the "Blue Velvet" SE. After seeing the magnificent "conversation" with DL on the "Eraserhead" disc, I have a difficult time believing that he was the one who vetoed any bonus material (although this may still be the case).

Dugpa has a report on this (it's the second one down on the page) that also goes into Lynch's audio preferences on DVDs these days. Check it out.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I have mixed feelings about David Lynch, but as with most directors some movies are hits and some are misses. I got my intro to Lynch through the Twin Peaks TV series. It was strange and confusing but captivating. My second Lynch film was Dune. If you have not read the book, the movie will be hard to understand. I loved Dune. Next was Blue Velvet. To date it is my favorite Lynch film. Last was Mulholland Drive which I liked but not as much as Blue Velvet.

I would recommend that you watch them in this order:
1) Dune (read the book first)
2) Blue Velvet
3) Mulholland Drive
4) The Straight Story - This is totally atypical David Lynch but it is a very fine movie.

If you are inclined to watch Twin Peaks season one, I would probably try to watch them after Blue Velvet. I think that he feel is the same as Blue Velvet.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I highly honor Mr. Lynch and would really enjoy working with him if I ever work in Hollywood. I like his style and uniqueness. Here's an interesting fact.
David Lynch turned down the chance to direct Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983) to direct Dune.

;)

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Nobody ever reads these threads, they just reply saying things that're cool, but are not correct at the moment when look back at the beginning of this thread.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
The Lynch List - From my favorites to well to, what do they call a bad David Lynch film?
Mulholland Drive
Lost Highway
Blue Velvet
Dune
Wild At Heart
Elephant Man
Have yet to see TW: Fire Walk With Me – I’m dying to see it – guess I’ll just buy it
Eraserhead – Can’t find it
The Straight Story – After The Elephant Man enraged me I don’t think I want to be bored by this film.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
It’s my fault. I didn’t listen to the repeated advice of others. Many who told me: to hold off and wait until. Until I saw the original series of Twin Peaks before exploring the movie Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. Well I didn’t and you know what I ruined for myself any possibility of enjoying the TV show. The movie at hand held little to no logic at all for me. The beginning of the film was the hardest part to watch. It was boring and very strange even for a David Lynch movie. By the time the film shifted gears to the life of Laura Palmer I found myself shocked at how poorly acted this “complex role” was acted. This chick whoever she is – sorry don’t know her name is awful. I did however like her best friend the dark haired girl, is by fair the better actress and beauty.

Everything wasn’t negative: The arm is a highlight for me as he provided a laugh here and there for me. I also realize a sad truth and that is that FWWM is David’s most personal film to date since Eraserhead. How did I draw that conclusion? Is simple he made this movie for himself, by the structure of the editing of movie to the film’s very ending you can very well tell this was a labor of love. That's what really burns about FWWM is it should be so much more than what it is (a cinematic atrocity): the ultimate bad movie. This is my belief any dumb person can make a dumb movie but only a talented filmmaker could actually make a bad one. For me FWWM is the worst and it deserved every boo it got at Cannes. Hell even I booed the movie after it was over watching it on VHS.

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
I would say try "Elephant Man" or "Blue Velvet", as they are his most accessible films.

Actually, after reading your comment on "Wild at Heart" et al being too scary, then I say start with "Elephant Man"... but if you're ready, try "Blue Velvet", it is excellent :)

Then of course, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, etc etc. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks