What's new

David Lee Roth vs. Sammy Hagar (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
This debate never ends with me and several of my friends!

This is actually a hard call for me. I definitely think that Sammy is much more talented than Diamond Dave from a musical perspective.

But there was something magical about Van Halen when Diamond Dave was the lead singer. VH was more "fun" with him.

Sammy had some great songs with VH too, but they seemed more "serious" or "heavier". VH was actually much more successful with Sammy in terms of record sales than they were with David Lee Roth.

Anyway, in the end, I wish Diamond Dave never left the band (or, more accurately, wasn't pushed out)!

Who do you prefer and why?

And what is the latest on Roth coming back to the band?

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I like both of their styles with Van Halen. But since you're asking me to pick, I'll say David Lee Roth because of the more raw aspect of the music.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
For the material they recorded, I prefer David Lee Roth. I have to admit that most of my favorite songs were their remakes of 50's and 60's material. Don't get me wrong, the stuff with Sammy was good but not as fun as the old stuff.

Scott W.

Second Unit
I think Sammy and Dave are great performers in their own way. I've seen VH two times with Hagar, but would love to see a reunion with Roth. They both have written some great songs and love them just about equally.

Scott

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
David Lee Roth always seemed to embody the Van Halen attitude more than Sammy could. THose earlier albums were so much better and fun than the more recent ones.

Rick

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
David Lee Roth as I was never a big fan of Van Hagar. Listen to everything from the first album to Mean Streets. There was a toughness to their sound that they would never achieve again (including Eddie).
Just my preference, I guess.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Another vote for Dave. Agree with the other posters, that the early VH albums seemed a lot more fun, and the VH attitude was epitomized by Diamond Dave. I own all of the Dave VH albums, never purchased a single one with Hagar.

( Not knocking Hagar, as I do like some of his pre-VH material, but it never felt like a good match, for me. )

- Walter.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
David Lee Roth

"Hot For Teacher" can erase all the bad memories of "Just A Gigolo" and "California Girls" Though, his take on "Tobacco Road" wasn't bad. :b

Scott_G

Second Unit
David Lee Roth

1st Van Halen - just listen to it !!

Raw rock.

All the way through Jump.

Ok they were branching out a little.

I liked Sammy on his own. Some of his early stuff is great. I think the Van Hagar thing is good, but nothing beats the original.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
While I'll fully admit David Lee Roth was damn good; Sammy Hagar is better. I've see Van Halen live numerous times on the following tours:
  1. "Women and Children First"
  2. "Diver Down"
  3. "1984"
  4. "5150"
  5. "OU812"
  6. "F.U.C.K"
  7. "Balance"[/list=1]

When DLR was with the band the shows were good but lasted 90 minutes at best. The shows with Sammy could run close to 3 hours here in St. Louis and kicked ass. That's what makes me vote for Sammy.

TimDoss

Second Unit
David... he had a style of singing that matched very well

with Eddie's playing, they were both very spontaneous sounding... Eddie wouldn't just play a riff, he would go

off on some tapping, or harmonics... and Dave wouldn't

just sing a line, he would go off on some little scream or

yell... the two of them just matched very well and made some

of the best music ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks