What's new

David Lean's Favorite Film (That He Directed) was...... (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
From ShowBiz Data:

LEAN'S FAVORITE FILM WAS SUMMERTIME, SAYS BIOGRAPHER

Director David Lean may be best known for such films as Lawrence of Arabia, The Bridge on the River Kwai, and Doctor Zhivago, but, according to film historian and Lean biographer Kevin Brownlow, his favorite film was Summertime, the 1954 Katharine Hepburn romantic film that is scheduled to close this year's Venice Film Festival on Sept. 6, the British newspaper The Scotsman reported today (Thursday). According to Brownlow, Lean told a friend: "I've put more of myself in that film than in any other I've ever made." A spokesman for the festival told the newspaper, "Not only have the colors in the film been fully restored with a Technicolor print, but also the sound, with digital reproduction

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In the book "Kate Remembered" that film was one of Katharine Hepburn's favorites and she thought the world of David Lean.

Crawdaddy

I think I ordered the Criterion DVD when I read that; but I only ever watched it once. I think I enjoyed watching the colour cinematography, but was not that drawn in by the characters and severe lack of a scenario.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I just watched this masterpiece again, along with The Passionate Friends and Madeline on region 2.
Lean knew how to communicate romance and passion.
Under his direction the actors strike just the right pitch and timing and poise.
The silences are pregnant with tension as the visual metaphors take over.
I would like to see Criterion revisit Summertime with perhaps a new transfer.
The DVD looks fine, but there is room for improvement.
If a photochemical restoration has been done I prefer that over a digital reproduction.
But I'm not sure the DVD or the film are sufficiently popular to justify such an undertaking.

Those of you who haven't seen Summertime -- or The Passionate Friends for that matter -- are missing something special.

Richard

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i haven't seen his works yet except for Arabia&Kwai. i have his Passage to Indian on BD, but want to watch that after watching everything else he has directed. hopefully they all arrive on Blu-Ray soon =P. LOA was supposed to be on BD this year =P. i guess it's still in the wor.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks