David Lean's _Brief Encounter_: Did I make the right choice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Leopold, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

After selling some old video games yesterday, I purchased the Criterion edition of David Lean's Brief Encounter. It was a tossup between this and Seventh Seal. These are both movies I've been wanting to see for quite some time, but was torn over which one to actually purchase. Any opinions on one or both?

2. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    I can't help with your question except to suggest that you would be more likely to get a response from knowledgeable people if your title were more descriptive.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    My wife has a tendency to agonize over choices out of fear that she will not make the best one. As long as you don't make a "bad" choice, though, why worry. Both films are excellent and the DVDs are well worth owning. You can't make a bad choice between them.

Regards,

4. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

The Seventh Seal is one of the greatest films of all time. It demands repeated watching, and should be on your buy list.

Brief Encounter is good as well, but in my mind, does not have the repeatability or greatness of Seventh Seal.

Just my opinion.

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Both are very good. I happen to prefer "The Seventh Seal" (as a film, as well as the DVD).

6. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I haven't seen The Seventh Seal, but I consider Brief Encounter to be one of the most remarkable films I've ever seen...

Cheers

7. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Never seen 7th Seal, but Brief Encounter is a terrific insight and excellent social commentary in 40s England [​IMG]
    I guess it's a period piece. Exceptional acting and stunning direction by Leanster.

8. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

You could not have made a bad choice, so quit worrying. Both these films are superb. I personally would give the edge to Brief Encounter, but I've only seen each film once.

9. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I would be hard pressed to regret purchasing either of these films - both superb, as many above have stated. Being the old softy that I am, I have to give the edge to 'brief encounter.' Criterion did both proud.
    The Brief Encounter liner notes mention a period in time (the 60's and 70's, notably) when the film 'fell out of fashion' due to a then-prevailing backlash against idealized, chaste love. It then fell back into favor with a whole new array of critical analysis which propelled it back to the critics' favorites lists.
    I don't seem to remember a time that Seventh Seal was ever considered 'out of fashion,' but I could be wrong. Anyone know? [​IMG]
    Joseph

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

11. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Wasn't the initial reception of Seventh Seal a lukewarm reception, at least in the U.S? I thought I had remembered reading that it was initially ignored and really became noted/popular years later in the art house circle.
    BTW: Both are great films, but I think Seventh Seal has greater cinematic and philosophical significance. But both are great, so enjoy "Brief Encounter" and get "Seventh Seal" later. [​IMG]
    -Dave