David Halberstam books about Vietnam? Which ones to read and in which order?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris PC, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I read David Halberstam's novel:

THE MAKING OF A QUAGMIRE

He also has a number of other books about the vietnam war, such as:

HO
    ONE VERY HOT DAY
    THE BEST AND THE BRIGHTEST

Are there any other books? What order should I read these? The Making of a Quagmire was an excellent book. I want to read his other books about Vietnam, but I don't want to skip over anything. On the other hand, if there are any of his books that I should avoid, say because a later book covers a certain period as well or better, then I'd like to know that also.

thanx for any info

[​IMG]

2. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

One book not on your list is "Once upon a Distant War: David Halberstam, Neil Sheehan, Peter Arnett-Young War Correspondents and Their Early Vietnam Battle."

While Halberstam is only part of the book, it is an excellent account of the early years of US involvement in Vietnam, as told through the journalist covering the war. A really compelling read!

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Excellent suggestion. I think I've stumbled over that before while searching the internet. Thank-you for reminding me. If you haven't read it yet, I strongly suggest the book The Making of a Quagmire.

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

A Rumor of War by Phillip Caputo is excellent. You should be able to find it on Amazon Marketplace for a very affordable price used. One of the few "textbooks" from college that I still have around.