What's new

David Cronenberg's Maps to the Stars on blu (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, if you thought that David Cronenberg was done making "monster" movies all you need do is check out Maps to the Stars. However the monsters in this film are the denizens of Hollywood, who creepily swim around the edges of this fetid pond. Child stars and aging divas, wacky shrinks with a book to sell, and their damaged spouses and children. We also get ghosts and Cronenberg's fascination with all things "disgusting" about the human body. So basically, this is a Cronenberg film.

smellovision maps.jpg

Julianne Maps.jpg

There is sex, screaming, and scars on display...both emotional and physical. The ghosts don't really haunt these characters as much as mock them as taken directly from Shakespeare. So, they are not actually frightening but meant to illuminate how rotten to the core these people are.

Will you find this all entertaining? I suppose that depends on if you need a character that actually is somebody you can relate to in order to pull you in to the story. These folks are not likable in any way and this story goes out of it's way to show us this.

Moore is fantastic as the fading actress and quite literally shows and gives us everything she's got to get this disaster of a human being on screen. You won't like her but you will be mesmerized by where she takes things. The rest of the cast is fair to good but it is pretty obvious nobody is burning as bright as Moore is here. It's great that she gives this one some blood though because as with Cronenberg's last couple of films this feels a bit detached...not as much as Cosmopolis, thankfully, but Cronenberg has taken to sort of presenting things like a scientist observing what is in a Petri dish.

Sometimes the problem with a performance as potent as Moore gives here is it overshadows the rest of the cast and that does happen to some degree in this one. The performances do tend to head in the direction of camp and I think on first watch this might seem a bit too ridiculous to some people. I have waited a couple of weeks before talking about this film because I really think you need to digest this one a bit and it probably requires more than one watch...which I think many people will not be willing to give it because the characters and story are so hideous...but hey, what do you expect, it's a Cronenberg film.

It is darkly...very darkly..comic and feels like Cronenberg giving a giant F-YOU to Hollywood as he proudly proclaims "I'm not part of this incestual cesspit!"

Yes, we get a lot of not particularly discrete references to incest as well in this one.

Your mileage may vary with Maps to the Stars. It is not for all tastes but is worth wading into if only for Julianne Moore.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I have to say I am a huge fan of Mr. Cronenberg's films, but especially the early ones and most especially The Dead Zone, which, for me, is his best film. His more recent films have had interesting things in them, but I think the last Cronenberg movie I absolutely loved was Dead Ringers. Sadly, again for me, Map of the Stars is a complete letdown - a bad, bad movie about disgusting people - and I normally love Julieanne Moore and I know she was playing a vile character, but I really didn't like her in this, which probably means she was doing her job. The toilet scene is truly one of the most embarrassing scenes I've ever witnessed.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:
His more recent films have had interesting things in them, but I think the last Cronenberg movie I absolutely loved was Dead Ringers.
I think Cronenberg has actually gotten better as he goes along (and he was no slouch 20 or 30 years ago). I didn't think Maps To The Stars was as good as Cosmopolis but for my money, he's still riding an artistic high.

Maps was demented fun and like Reggie said, a big fuck you to Hollywood.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
haineshisway said:
I have to say I am a huge fan of Mr. Cronenberg's films, but especially the early ones and most especially The Dead Zone, which, for me, is his best film. His more recent films have had interesting things in them, but I think the last Cronenberg movie I absolutely loved was Dead Ringers. Sadly, again for me, Map of the Stars is a complete letdown - a bad, bad movie about disgusting people - and I normally love Julieanne Moore and I know she was playing a vile character, but I really didn't like her in this, which probably means she was doing her job. The toilet scene is truly one of the most embarrassing scenes I've ever witnessed.

I haven't seen this new film, but anything by Cronenberg must be seen, however unpleasant. I agree with you that The Dead Zone is up there with his best pictures - a great performance from Christopher Walken.

Another film of his that I rank up there with his best is Spider. What a great role for Ralph Fiennes and a devastating portrayal of mental illness.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
An interesting film, although not a pleasant film to watch.

Strangely, had me thinking of a resemblance to Father Knows Best, except in this case, the siblings problems were far deeper than anything that Bud or Betty ever had to face.

At least on-screen.

Off...

Could have been quite similar.

Basically, seems to be the tale of a troubled young lady, who begins to unravel, when those closest to her treat her poorly.

A good looking Blu-ray, with just a touch of beloved teal.

RAH

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
The Canadian Blu-Ray of "Maps To The Stars" doesn't have a Digital Copy, but it does include about 40 minutes of cast and crew interviews, a 3 minute "On The Red Carpet" featurette, and most interestingly, a Bruce Wagner commentary track.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Robert Harris said:
Basically, seems to be the tale of a troubled young lady, who begins to unravel, when those closest to her treat her poorly.

I read it that the family of the young lady unravelled. She was crazy to start with and got more normal. Her family went the other direction.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Maps to the Stars has been been nagging me ever since I saw it last fall at the tail end of the Calgary Film Fest. I just couldn't get the infernal thing out of my head - so much so that after my second theatrical viewing it ended up sharing my top spot for the year with Nightcrawler. Flip a coin; I think they're both extraordinary, underappreciated works.

Since release of the this Blu-ray, I've already watched it twice, and as David M. notes, the Canuck release is certainly the one to ferret out, if only for Bruce Wagner's superb commentary track. Among major filmmakers, David Cronenberg is one of the most assiduous about preserving the original author's 'voice', and no less so here. In the text of its story, there's no mistaking Maps to the Stars as anything other than a Bruce Wagner tale, in a Wagner-redux style...nevertheless guided shrewdly by Cronenberg's incisive mind and unflinching eyes.

Although it would be foolish to claim that this work isn't about Hollywoodland - the core of its wicked satire - I do feel there's more to this zeitgeist tale than its obvious trappings would suggest. Like all of Cronenberg's films, there's another mesmerizing subext at play...in this case, a dark fin de siècle poem (literally), about identity, memory, guilt, pain, and ultimately liberty (inspired by poet Paul Eluard).

During my first viewing I had no idea what to expect next and was chortling over every audacious turn*. But somewhere during my second run with Maps to the Stars, its larger modern themes - divorced from a specific industry - made its tsunami of pain strangely tragic and surprisingly affecting. And always trusty Cronenberg collaborator Howard Shore got all that too:

If you're not sure what to think of this one first time around, it's perhaps wise to give it some space before taking a second run at it. You might be surprised...

For Canucks, the first, and no doubt only on-screen death by Genie award. Very telling character detail though.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
US disc is shorn of extras. Actually went seeking them, and came up empty.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
haineshisway said:
I have to say I am a huge fan of Mr. Cronenberg's films, but especially the early ones and most especially The Dead Zone, which, for me, is his best film.

I am also a fan and in the same boat with others that find themselves drawn to watch every film he makes. I think this film and Cosmopolis were interesting films but to me they were not as good as his older work. I mainly think Cronenberg has been consistently excellent with the exception of these last couple of experiments. Cosmopolis was too flaccid and Maps to the Stars was just a little too goofy for me. At the same time the goofiness made it sort of humorous to watch so I'm not sure I could call it a weakness of the film.

haineshisway said:
Sadly, again for me, Map of the Stars is a complete letdown - a bad, bad movie about disgusting people - and I normally love Julieanne Moore and I know she was playing a vile character, but I really didn't like her in this, which probably means she was doing her job. The toilet scene is truly one of the most embarrassing scenes I've ever witnessed.

I understand completely how you feel. I think the idea of creating a story about vapid and self-centered Hollywood types is a little tired. So, I think in terms of subject matter Cronenberg could have chosen better. I can't say I thought it was a bad film because I think between Moore's performance, Cronenberg's take on telling the story, and what a weirdo Bruce Wagner is there is enough there to make it a worthwhile trip.

The toilet scene was a particularly offbeat choice. I sort of understand why he might put it there but it does go right out to the limits of totally pushing the audience out of the film and into just laughing at how ridiculous it is. I must admit though, it made me think Julianne really is up for anything you throw at her and will tackle it with gusto. I do think it does sort of become something people will focus on and discuss after the film is over which might take away a little from the rest of what goes on.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
TravisR said:
I think Cronenberg has actually gotten better as he goes along (and he was no slouch 20 or 30 years ago). I didn't think Maps To The Stars was as good as Cosmopolis but for my money, he's still riding an artistic high.

I thought that A History of Violence and Eastern Promises were films that seemed to be executed by a master filmmaker. When I watched those I definitely felt like Cronenberg was showing us the culmination of many years of accumulating filmmaking skills and techniques. I thought A Dangerous Method was an excellent take on a different kind of film for David Cronenberg. The weird intensity he infuses it with was impressive I thought.

Cosmopolis fell a bit flat for me but it was cool to see him tackle a Don DeLillo novel. The film is loaded with interesting ideas but I think in execution of the story it is a miss. I thought Giamatti was the only performer who seemed not to be sleepwalking but that was probably intentional. He is the only one that actually feels like he is present. I should probably watch it again though.

I do think you are right about Cronenberg operating at an artistic high, I just sort of wish he would apply that to some more interesting material.

Perhaps this:

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Stories about bizzare, vapid and self centered Hollywood types has given us some of the best films ever made... Sunset Blvd, Day of the Locust, Ed Wood, Mommy Dearest, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?... the list of great films in this genre is a mile long.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
bigshot said:
Stories about bizzare, vapid and self centered Hollywood types has given us some of the best films ever made... Sunset Blvd, Day of the Locust, Ed Wood, Mommy Dearest, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?... the list of great films in this genre is a mile long.

Sure, but that's why I said it was a little tired at this point and has been done in better ways by others. Have you seen Maps to the Stars yet and if so what did you think?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Hollywoodaholic said:
Reggie spins a good review but to lay the tone and nature of this film at the feet of Cronenberg is a misnomer if you've never read Bruce Wagner, the acidic scribe who penned this poison love letter to Hollywood among others.

Thank you. I mainly wanted to look at it from the perspective of Cronenberg turning it into a film. I have not read Wagner's novel of the script and I have probably read more about Wagner than his actual work.

He strikes me as quite an oddball and I do think that is in play in Maps to the Stars. I know Cronenberg gives the credit for Maps being whatever it is to Bruce Wagner. This does "feel like" a Cronenberg film though with many of the obsessions that run through his other work running through this one as well...which may be why he chose to do this film.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
davidmatychuk said:
The Canadian Blu-Ray of "Maps To The Stars" doesn't have a Digital Copy, but it does include about 40 minutes of cast and crew interviews, a 3 minute "On The Red Carpet" featurette, and most interestingly, a Bruce Wagner commentary track.

Yes, as Robert Harris points out, those of us in the US get a disc with no extras. Not the first time a Canadian release was better than the US release. The Canadian release of Roman Polanski's The Ghost Writer is unedited while the US version is edited for language and it is quite obvious on the US disc. I did not even think about checking the differences between the Canadian release and the US release. I would have been curious to hear Wagner comment on some of what is in Maps to the Stars particularly curious if he said anything about Agatha's odd little ceremonial dancing/movements in the film.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Reggie W said:
Sure, but that's why I said it was a little tired at this point and has been done in better ways by others. Have you seen Maps to the Stars yet and if so what did you think?

I thought it was a great movie. It's right up there with Naked Lunch as one of my favorites. It seemed like the best of both Cronenberg and Lynch to me.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Reggie W said:
Yes, as Robert Harris points out, those of us in the US get a disc with no extras. Not the first time a Canadian release was better than the US release. The Canadian release of Roman Polanski's The Ghost Writer is unedited while the US version is edited for language and it is quite obvious on the US disc. I did not even think about checking the differences between the Canadian release and the US release. I would have been curious to hear Wagner comment on some of what is in Maps to the Stars particularly curious if he said anything about Agatha's odd little ceremonial dancing/movements in the film.

...only that it was entirely improvised on set, in itself unusual for Cronenberg who is meticulous about going in with a vision and carefully blocking to achieve it.

So this odd bit of business was probably added by the director and actor simpy to enliven an otherwise expository scene (Agatha more listening than watching Dr. Weiss' 'power hour' in the background). Regardless how the staging of this scene came about*, it worked for me too...

BTW, without giving too much intriguing background away, Mr. Wagner reveals that
this screenplay had been kicking around the industry for at least a
decade...with Oliver Stone originally tapped to direct it. What a very different
film that might have been! :eek:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Thanks for that info, Steve. Mainly due to Wagner's ties to the little cult of Carlos Castaneda and the fact that Wagner directed those weird Tensegrity videos featuring his equally weird wife Carol Tiggs (Kathleen Pohlman and all of her various goofball names and aliases) I wondered if this was done in the film to create a reference to all that nonsense. In fact I can't help when watching the film looking for references to Wagner's wacky past.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks