What's new

David Bowie keyboardist Mike Garson releases Bowie-related album (1 Viewer)

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
I recently spoke with Mike Garson, David Bowie's keyboardist since 1972. He has released his first Bowie-related solo album of piano music, and it's not your typical instrumental versions of an artist. Anyone familiar with Garson's piano solos on Aladdin Sane and his powerful accompaniments on Diamond Dogs, knows he plays anything but straight piano. His new album, the Bowie Variations for Piano, offer his improvised interpretations of some famous Bowie tunes. It's not new Bowie music, but at least it offers you a chance to hear some Bowie classics in a unique way from one of his longtime sidemen. There is a free mp3 of one cut and also Garson invites fans to drop him an email to place an order for a signed copy: http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2011/07/10/mike-garson-talks-about-david-bowie-variations-an-indie-ethos-exclusive/

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I had already pre-ordered this when the signature offer came up, unfortunately, but I am really looking forward to this. edit: it seems my pre-order fell through (CD WOW, what can you expect?), so I cancelled it and instead placed my order directly at Mike's site, so I will get a signed copy, can't wait :)

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
So the Garson interview continues with one that covers his career with Bowie and also deeply probes his creative process. In 2004 I spoke to him for a proposed cover story in "Goldmine Magazine" which never materialized after a series of mishaps that lead to Bowie's quiet retirement. It finally sees the light of day now. Here is part one: http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/from-the-archives-mike-garson-on-woking-with-david-bowie-part-1/ I plan to add 4-5 more posts that will see my entire archival interview with Garson released over the course of the week. It will also feature sound files of him demonstrating some ideas on a piano! So keep coming back every morning for a new post and probing portrait of the artist that added a special flavor to the Bowie sound.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
It came in the mail today, signed and pretty, and pretty fast as well, and I am listening to it now. It is absolutely mindblowing, truly fantastic, great improvisations, great acoustics, great SQ, great all over! Reminds me a bit of Keith Jarrett in his finer moments. Just buy it!

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Mikael Soderholm said:
It came in the mail today, signed and pretty, and pretty fast as well, and I am listening to it now. It is absolutely mindblowing, truly fantastic, great improvisations, great acoustics, great SQ, great all over! Reminds me a bit of Keith Jarrett in his finer moments. Just buy it!
Hi, Mikael, It seems you got yours before me. Good to hear it provided a nice listen. It would be awesome if you can post your comments on the original thread, as someone adding his opinion to the piece outside myself, as I'm just too close to it all to offer an objective comment. Part 2 of the Bowie-related interview is up (and the next part will focus on his jazz side, that should be up in the morning tomorrow, if not sometime that day): http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2011/07/21/from-the-archives-mike-garson-on-working-with-david-bowie-the-later-years-part-2/ Edit: part 3 focuses on his jazz experience and he mentions a love for Keith Jarrett: http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2011/07/27/from-the-archives-mike-garson-goes-from-jazz-to-bowie-part-3-of-5/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks