What's new

David Blaine's 44 Day Starvation Stunt (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I plead the Fifth
does 'the fifth' exist in the UK? anyway, i think david blaine's recent stunts are pretty lame, although i wouldnt try any of them. they are just to grab attention, and that he has done. its funny how everyone is getting 'mad' at him, if you dont like him, dont go by there and taunt him. i will say one thing about him, some of those tricks he does in the street magic shows are downright amazing. i have no idea how he does any of them, and they look completely real. i guess that is the point of magic...

CJ

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
if Blaine had made Buckingham Palace suddenly vanish, than the Brits will probably cheer instead of jeer.
Oh please don't get rid of the royals. They're far too amusing for everyone else. Who cares about all those "bicycling monarchys" in the rest of Europe? They're far too dull. No, the pomp and splendour and a queen who really does wear her crown on occasion and all the carriages and red and gold livery really do make a hell of a show. Pagentry is something the British do better than anyone else in the world. From Diana's wedding to her funeral to the ordinary changing of guard, I never fail to see a British royal spectacle fail to impress :D.

If Mr. Blaine really is snarling traffic in London then I can see why he's such a problem. I never drive in London (did once and while it wasn't Rome...GAH!). The subway system is phenomenal and far easier to use than the one in New York. Has anyone thought perhaps to extend the lines and make park-and-ride facilities so that commuters could park outside the city and then take the rail/subway or buses in? I know they already exist but London's traffic has become far worse than even Houston or LA.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Christ! Reynolds, you're right, some of that street magic he does is very clever.
Shame he has to do these stupid stunts too. Wasn't he standing on top of a 100ft pole for a couple of days in his last one? Well after the way he was pelted and jeered in this latest stunt, I don't think he'll be attempting that pole stunt in London any time soon.;)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I never fail to see a British royal spectacle fail to impress
You should see the preparation that goes into even the most minor of royal events. E.g. opening a new computer centre at a university, the path to the front door which had just been laid at great expense was deemed not wide enough for members of the royal family and the Vice-Chancellor (i.e. the boss) of the university to walk side-by-side. So the whole path was torn up and the ground re-landscaped, in order to put in a wider path.

Sorry, don't know what's gone wrong with the 'quotes'.

(One [ was a { - I edited it for you. Cees)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
David Blaine may have his perspex prison stunt ended in days — because his advisers are horrified at the abuse he is getting in Britain. They believe the scenes of egg-throwing yobs, scuffles and jeering are damaging his image.

One executive said: “This has left us dumbfounded. David is a huge star, a brand name in America. “All the hard work around his image is being blown away. It’s now, ‘Do we just get him the hell out of there?’”

He has endured being pelted with eggs and golf balls, having laser pens aimed at him, his water supply being cut off by a thug and being taunted by girls baring their breasts. But the final straw was when Sir Paul McCartney was involved in one of two scuffles last week.

It's hysterical, an ex-Beatle and 'Knight of the Realm' screaming profanities as he is dragged away, very disappointed that he never had a chance to throw at least one egg at Blaine's box, what IS happening to dear ol' England? ;)

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
We gave the Yanks Simon Cowell, they gave us David Blaine. Who got the raw deal??

You think his treatment in London is bad, send him up here to Glasgow. The locals would tell him to forget this nonsense and come down to the local pub for a few pints! Man I love being Scottish. :D

PS- The guy who practiced his Golf swing on the box should be knighted! :)

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Ever since September 11, New Yorkers haven't been acting like proper New Yorkers. It's nice to know that another city has picked up the torch and run with it. Very noble of you, London! We can't let all that vitriol go to waste, can we? :)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Just how well known is Blaine in the US? UK media keep reporting him as being a mega big deal over here in the US, but I genuinely didn't think he was that well known - he's not a megafamous celebrity that gets pages of coverage, is he?

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Just how well known is Blaine in the US? UK media keep reporting him as being a mega big deal over here in the US, but I genuinely didn't think he was that well known - he's not a megafamous celebrity that gets pages of coverage, is he?
I for one, never even heard of him until I first saw this thread last week.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
He's not that well known over here (the US) and he comes across as some ole bugger trying to get attention to himself. Kind of like that 2nd grader in the back corner of the cafeteria trying to spill his milk on his shirt to get attention in the lunchroom. He might be more famous in NYC since I think he did his ice cube stunt there, but I've never seen any of his specials on TV and usually only hear about him on the TV news.

Jay

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
People have heard of him here, but he's definitely a few notches below David Copperfield and Penn & Teller as far as famous magicians go. Heck, when I heard he was doing this stunt in London, I thought it was because he was more popular over there! :)

I can't blame the folks who are giving Blaine a hard time, though. If you're going to do a pointless stunt that does nothing but burn lifespan, and promote it as entertainment, this sort of "audience participation" should not only be expected but appreciated.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
david who?

If I was couped up in a plastic cage for a few weeks, I think I can endure a constant parade of girls flashing their boobs or anything else at me, I can take it!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
He's not that popular in the US. He's had a couple specials on TV, but that's it.

The UK press and Blaine's "handlers" are apparently hyping him more than he deserves.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Blaine will write a new-fangled diet book after this ordeal?

"How I Lost 40 pounds in England: The Girth of a Country"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks