What's new

Dave's Video LA going out of business?? (1 Viewer)

KeithJ

Auditioning
Dave's had THE largest selction of rental DVDs I've seen to-date. As stated in their press release, it was a matter of margin. DVDs regularly selling for 24.99 would be sold to most stores at around 18-19 bucks. Put that up against what Dave's would make against an LD. An LD that would sell for 39.99 would normally cost the store 23-27 bucks. Big, huge margin difference. I worked there for over four years until the end, I should know. Heh. It wasn't rental, it wasn't bd management (like so many of you seem to think), but like the rest of you have pointed out, it's a sign of the times. Best Buy can sell a DVD at WAY below cost 'cause they sell 'fridges, computers games ... you name it, they sell it. Dave's tried to be a "niche market" for DVD ... having at least one of everything ... but no one seems to want that anymore. A sign of the times, my friends.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
That's too bad. I shopped at Dave's whenever I was up in the Valley (which wasn't too often) and spent a LOT of money there on DVDs and LDs. I never rented from them because I lived too far away, but their selection was very good. They'll be missed. Keith, do you know what the owners are going to do next?

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
I'm really surprised to hear what was said above about the anime side of things there. They must not have been paying attention to what other retailers have been doing, which is another sign of inevitable failure. Suncoast continually gets more and more anime in their stores and expanding the area, with several larger ones in the northeast pushing them further and further to the front of the store. From some talk I've heard in the industry, anime's helped keep Suncoast surviving nicely during the past several years as sales in general have gone down.

Besides, anime had 500 individual releases last year. How can you ignore that many titles?

KeithJ

Auditioning
Keith, do you know what the owners are going to do next?
Their future plans were never really brought up. I know a few things, none of which I think is ethical to mention here because it involves Dave and Linda personally, and is their business. But as far as a new store or anything in that area, I highly doubt it. Unfortunatly, the Valley is going to lose a huge rental library to litigation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks