What's new

Dave Mustaine injured/No More Megadeth! (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
A shame about Mustaine's arm. He's very smart and has strong leadership capabilities, as demonstrated by the creation and success of Megadeth, so he can do a lot of good in the industry if he goes into production or management or something like that.

NP: Clifford Brown, More Study In Brown, CD

Sheldon C

Second Unit
It looks like there is nothing holding Dave Ellefson (sp?) from joining Metallica. I've thought that he would be a good fit personality wise since I watched the Megadeth behind the music. Mustaine has already said that Ellefson would have his blessing is Metallica comes knocking.

Brion Lydon

Stunt Coordinator
That really sucks. I've been a Megadeth fan since Christmas of '89. I was 12 years old. This is a huge blow. We've lost a great band. :frowning:
Brion

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Sheldon, I was just thinking "I wonder what Dave Ellefson is gonna do now, having been with Megadeth for 20 years". If he would join Metallica, that would be cool. :)
/Mike

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
It is sad the Mustaine has relapsed after so many years of being clean and suffered this injury, but Megadeth was due to call it quits. They were a great band in their prime. The Friedman/Menza years produced some brilliant albums, but since then the band has gone downhill. Their most recent album, World Needs a Hero is downright mediocre, filled with rehashes of old songs and juvenile lyrics. Come on Dave, you're 40 years old and married--what are you doing writing songs that sound like they were penned by an angst-ridden 13-year old who was just dumped by his girlfriend? Megadeth's album before that, Risk was a poor imitation of Metallica's Load, where the band was obviously trying to break into the mainstream.

Megadeth reached its creative peak with Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings, and even some songs on those albums were phoned-in. That's why I'm not too sad about the band breaking up. Why tarnish their reputation even further?

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Mike - yeah, I hope Ellefson joins Metallica. He seems to have such an easy going temperment which is proven by the fact that he put up with Mustaine all these years. No offense to Dave, but even he admits what an a-hole he was back in the 80's early 90's. I have no idea how good of a bassist he is, but at this stage in Metallica's carreer they need a personality fit, not a great bassist anyway.

I am sorry to see Megadeth go, I like their new album. Sure the lyrics in places are silly but overall it reminds me of my favorite Megadeth album - Rust In Peace. I felt that with this new album they were back on track. Megadeth's main downfall all these years is that they couldn't escape being compared to Metallica which isn't fair to do to any band IMO.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
All I have to say is, "thank God."

These guys haven't been good since Countdown. I used to love Megadeth (still love their older stuff). I can remember sitting around, waiting for Youthanasia to come out. Then, it finally did. I bought it, listened to it one time and almost cried... it sucked that bad.

I still bought (or downloaded) all of the rest of their albums, but they never get listened to.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sad to see them go, but I liked several songs off their later albums, mostly thanks to the great riffs that Mustaine still managed to churn out. Most of the songs felt unfocused and tired though.

I feel the same towards Metallica these days, I actually think that the later Megadeth albums have been better than the later Metallica albums.

/Mike

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
What a shame... Megadeth has been and always will be one of my favorite bands. I think my favorite album is So Far, So Good, So What. I never get tired of listening to that CD after all these years (which I bought the day it came out in 1988... ahhh... high school memories).

At least I was able so see them perform live on three occasions. The first time opening for Dio in 1988, then opening for Judas Priest in 1990, and headlining on New Year's Eve 1992. All three were great performances. I wish they'd release an older live performance or two on DVD/CD.

Luke_Khuc

Stunt Coordinator
ahhh,

i went to see megadeth and it was my first time at a concert ever. i lost my voice for 3 days after the concert.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Last night, while cruising around the TV dial, I came across Megadeth's video for sweating bullets on MTV-X. Ah, the memories.

"Hello me, it's me again..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks