What's new

Dave Matthews Band's "Live from Radio City Music Hall" CD/DVD (1 Viewer)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
On Tuesday, DMB's latest live release came out in both DVD and on CD. All 26 (!!!) songs are made available with some neat features on the DVD including a documentary.

I bought mine a few hours ago and hope to check it out quite soon.

Ryan

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
This isn't a Dave Matthews Band release, it's a Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds release, the first since '99's "Live at Luther College".

One of the mods may wanna change the title.

If you really wanna nitpick it's just called "Live at Radio City", by the way.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I really don't think so.

If it was a case of releasing this live stuff in the place of new studio material that would be one thing but if you look at the studio stuff it seems to come out at a pretty reasonable rate:

1994: Under the Table and Dreaming
1996: Crash
1998: Before These Crowded Streets
2001: Everyday
2002: Busted Stuff
2003: Some Devil
2005: Stand Up

Granted, 25 complete live shows have been officially released during that period which may appear to dwarf the studio output but if you were to only look at the studio stuff you'll see that Matthews has never gone longer than 3 years without a new studio album, which is admittedly likely to be the case with the next DMB album since it shouldn't be out until next year at the earliest.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
My son bought this the other day and I listened to it....pretty ho-hum if you ask me. Maybe it's because I've seen them live and already own more than a few Dave & Tim shows courtesy of legal show trading, but this show doesn't do much for me. Dave seems very flat and sounds bored, most specifically on the standard Dave & Tim tracks.

I used to be a DMB fanatic but consider myself a casual fan at this point. For the casual fan, I'm not sure this one is worth picking up.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Carl I disagree, but maybe that's just because I've been waiting so long for a proper Dave & Tim release. I've got a ton of audio as well as video recordings of D+T shows, but the AV quality on this release is superb. I'm still as big of a Dave fan as I was back in 94, and while his newer material and the band's style in general isn't as great, in my opinion, as it used to be, I still think that any fan, no matter what level, will enjoy this release. And the documentary is pretty cool, if you can get past the plethora of 'college frat guys.' Some people complain that they release too many live shows...I say, if people are buying them, release as many as you want, the more the better!

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
No question the sound quality is excellent, but when I listen to a recording like Boone from 2003 the performance just seems better to me. I don't know, Dave seems to sing with more heart on that show compared to this one in my opinion.

I saw them at Radio City in 2003 and remember there being rumors they were going to make that an official live release. I was bummed they never did and when I first heard about this release, I was hoping it was going to be that show.

I totally agree with what you said about them releasing more live shows. If people want them, why not? Some of the taper recordings are pretty outstanding, but nothing beats a pristine soundboard recording.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Too bad they havent allowed soundboards since...95? There's been a number of shows (Purdue as well) that were slated to be officially released but never happened. I think it's almost a given that as he gets older (lets not forget DMB as a band has been around for 15 years), they seem to lose a bit of the passion in their performance, even though I think everyone knows how dedicated they are and how great of a live band they still are to see.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I've got all of their studio & live release output as well as TONS of legally downloaded live stuff. That being said, I still enjoy this release. Is it my favorite live release? No, but it's still good. Part of the charm of the D&T shows is that it's way more intimate (not in terms of venue though...Radio City is rather large) in terms of Dave's approach to the crowd. He knows that people that come to those shows are really big fans and have gone through great lengths to get those tickets.

One thing that this release does for certain...it shows the world how damn amazing Tim Reynolds is on guitar.

Fred333

Agent
Real Name
Fred
I am just starting to build up my DMB collection. Looking forward to getting my hands on this new one. Seen him a couple of times at Red Rocks in Colorado, very cool shows.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Wow! That's all I can really say! I just finished the live CD portions - TWICE over! That's about 300 mins of DMB and it was awesome! ;)

I really really enjoyed the CD and will try my best to watch the show on DVD very soon. I wish I was able to switch it up and watch the show first, but time did not allow it.

Ryan

varybarry

Agent
Real Name
Layla
I haven't seen the Blu-Ray version, but the DVD is great. I love Dave. It was great watching him; instead of just listening to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks