What's new

Dave Campo deserved to get roasted by the media for not going for 2 yesterday. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Where was Dave Campo's head yesterday? Dallas scored a touchdown against Denver to make the score 26-16. Instead of going for two to get within eight points, he takes the extra point. What did 26-17 do for him? What in the world was he thinking?

I watched ESPN SportsCenter this morning and saw part of Campo's postgame press conference. One reporter really got on his case for not going for two. Now, I generally don't like the media, but in this case, Campo got what he deserved. The reporter kept saying "Bad decision", to which Campo said before storming out, "Good. Go write about it." I'm sure the reporter did just that, and Campo deserved it. I know Dallas isn't a good team, and relying on Ryan Leaf isn't helping the situation, but Campo didn't help his team yesterday. There is no excuse for not going for two. It's simple math. His special teams coach got on him on the sidelines over it, which was great to see.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
eagles fan by the way...

i saw that too the strange thing is that right after the touchdown campo was running down the field with 2 fingers waving. but there was a delay of some sort and when they came back to the game he kicked the point instead.

also last week why did he call a sideline pass with 10 seconds left in the half against the eagles. if it was completed he gets the ball at maybe the 50 yd line and time runs out but if leaf makes a bad pass it gets run back for a td and he did and it was.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tony, I don't know what Campo is doing, but I guess there is a reason that the Cowboys are 2-8. If Campo keeps it up, he will go down with the likes of Ray Handley and Rich Kotite. I figured you would appreciate the Kotite analogy. ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yea kotite has a season started off going 7-2 (eagles)then says he should get a contract extention doesn,t get it then goes to lose the last 7 games then gets fired. he almost destroyed the jets franchise all by himself.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I think Dull-ass should have tried the onside kick after that face masking penalty on the touchdown that brought them within 26. I mean you knew they'd have to go for an onside kick before the end of the game, and with the extra 15 tacked on even if they lost it they wouldn't give up too much field position.

oh well, i don't really mind their franchise being a mockery

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
Lets look at the stats, instead of your opinions. Dallas is 0 for 2 on 2 point conversion tries for the season. The league average is 45%, so the chance to convert two in a row drops down to a paltry 20.9%. The league average for recovering an onside kick is 30%. So statistically, Campo made the right choice.

Yes, I have been a proud Dallas fan since 1982, and sat and cheered their victory vs the Redskins in their 1-15 campaign of '89. It makes the good seasons all the more sweet. I strongly disagree that the Cowboys franchise is a mockery. They have been competitive in every games with the exception of the Eagles, and they play hard every game. They have one of the lowest salaries with one of the highest amount of dead cap money. In my opinion, they need to resolve their QB situation, hire a GM to improve their draft selections, and they will vastly improve next year.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Lets look at the stats, instead of your opinions. Dallas is 0 for 2 on 2 point conversion tries for the season. The league average is 45%, so the chance to convert two in a row drops down to a paltry 20.9%. The league average for recovering an onside kick is 30%. So statistically, Campo made the right choice.
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!! Campo made a STUPID decision. Look at the facts of the game.

Dallas was down 16 points. A touchdown + a 2 point conversion puts you down ONLY A TOUCHDOWN AND ANOTHER 2 POINT CONVERSION!!

If you MISS the first 2 point conversion, you are down 10. If you just go for 1 point, you are down 9. Either way, you need a touchdown AND a field goal (2 scores) to have a chance to win the game. So you LOSE NOTHING by going for the first 2 point conversion, and GAIN the opportunity to tie the score with only 2 scores, not 3.

This is basic football math, how anyone can argue he made the right decision is really, really beyond me.

If any of this seems like shouting, I apoligize, being a diehard Cowboy's fan, it is hard to watch them suck so bad week after week....

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
You do lose something if you fail on the first 2 pt conversion attempt. You lose the ability to win the game in regulation with two 7pt touchdowns and a FG. As I pointed out, the Cowboys had a better % chance to get that kick off then successfully convert both two point conversions.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
This is an interesting question, and originally I sided with Campo's decision based on the percentages Shayne brought up. However, I have changed my opinion for two reasons. First, I believe the 30% recovery rate for onside kicks includes the unexpected ones. The one Dallas attempted was not only expected but mandatory.

Secondly, while Shayne is correct that the odds of Dallas recovering the onside kick were greater than converting two 2-point conversions, success in getting the onside kick would only get Dallas to perhaps their own 45 yard line. They would then have to advance 20-30 yards and hit the field goal. I think the odds of all of that being successful would be less than attempting the two 2-point conversions.

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
"They would then have to advance 20-30 yards and hit the field goal."

Correct, but keep in mind that with the two point conversions, you only have a tie game. You still have to win the game in overtime. Assuming you win the coin toss, you need to complete a drive that generally starts around your own 25 yard line.

Brian, you bring up an interesting issue with unexpected kick-offs.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
You do lose something if you fail on the first 2 pt conversion attempt. You lose the ability to win the game in regulation with two 7pt touchdowns and a FG. As I pointed out, the Cowboys had a better % chance to get that kick off then successfully convert both two point conversions.
that isn't a loss, 2 scores are ALWAYS easier to get than 3. And I don't buy the fact that getting an onside kick, plus driving and scoring again is a better %age than 2 2-point conversions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks