What's new

Dave Blood, Bassist for punk band Dead Milkmen commits suicide (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
From a posting on the http://www.deadmilkmen.com messageboard by Kathy, Dave's sister:

Also reported on Billboard:
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar..._id=1000460203

For some of us, the Dead Milkmen was really the passage into punk rock and independent music. I can honestly say, as a 4th grader (!!) when I first heard the Milkmen-- it was perfectly goofy enough to appeal to a preteen-- yet as I grew older and got the satire, irony and humor of the goofy pop tunes- I can honestly say the milkmen changed my life.

Despite the fact that sonically they have little in common- being "into" the milkmen turned me on to other bands like Husker Du, the Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, and many others. Them, along with fear, were my first experiments into alternative cultural expression that would help me define myself as a teenager. It's cliche to say, but in a lot of ways- those records saved my life.

Years and Years later, I managed a hole-in-the-wall rock club here in Ohio. No matter what band would play, no matter what genre from hardcore to lilting alternative rock to goofy pop-- if I put on the Dead Milkmen's "Big Lizard in my Backyard" between sets- more than half the crowd would be caught signing along. It was one record that seemed to be tattooed on the brains of alternative music fans--- no matter where their searches outside the mainstream had taken them, many of them had spent some time with the Milkmen.

In the end, i guess that is the best legacy a band can claim-- to have affected someone. I know they affected me.

-Vince

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Well, I can't say that they changed my life, but when I was a high school kid playing in a band, the Milkmen's "Bitchin' Camaro" was always a jam session favorite.

- Hey Jack, what's happenin'?
- I don't know.
- Well uh, rumour around town says you might be thinkin' 'bout goin' down to the shore.
- Uh, yeah, I think I'm gonna go down to the shore.
- Whadda ya gonna do down there?
- Uh, I don't know, play some video games, buy some Def Leppard t-shirts.
- Don't forget your Motley Crue t-shirt; y''know all proceeds go to get their lead singer out a' jail.

We were too young and dumb to realize that at least half of the rest the jokes were horrendously offensive! Oh, well, it was great stuff to jam to!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks