dating ideas

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Schermerhorn, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

This is a pretty general question since no one here knows anything about me but I'm looking for interesting ideas on what to do on dates. During the spring/summer it's easy because you can do so many things outside, but here in MN you're basically stuck indoors in the winter (other than snow sports and the winter carnival...).
    The girl I'm "kinda" seeing right now and I both like to learn and will try just about anything, so ideas that are kinda "different" are fine too (don't get too carried away [​IMG] )

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

The obvious choice, being that this is HTF, is a movie in the HT. But that's not going "out". So make it a movie at the local cinema. How about a play, or a concert, or a museum? How about a trip to that enormous mall?

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

My girlfriend and I love going to the art museum. Its fun, and gives you a lot of time to talk with your date. You can also be seen as "sensitive" and "cultured", both traits that women apparently like. [​IMG]

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

There's always studying the Kama Sutra....[​IMG]
    Practice makes perfect.

5. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Going to places like Dave & Busters is a lot of fun. Go for dinner then move into the game room for games and drinks. Compete in the pop-a-shot games or skeeball. Good fun.

6. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

Ice skating is good if you know how to skate and she's not all that confident. Or you can stumble together and laugh it off. Outdoor rinks are great if it's a cool setting and not too cold, but indoor works just as good.

Andrej

7. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Take her camping

8. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

Do some volunteer work together - a Saturday afternoon at the food bank, help a local school build sets or paint scrims for a school play. Build a doghouse to donate to the local shelter. Volunteer to bathe and walk and socialize homeless dogs so they are more likely to be adopted. Join the local Habitat for Humanity group. Volunteer as tutors to teach English as a second language. Collect used bicycles from friends and neighbors, spiff them up, and donate them through a local relief organization.

Start working on your family trees together.

Go the the Minnesota Historical Society - it's a great "unstuffy" museum, a great place for talking and discussing, since it's filled with items that relate to daily life.

Visit some funky used bookstores (if the chains haven't driven them all out of business).

Do a jigsaw puzzle.

Crash some lectures at the U on some subject you know nothing about.

9. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    I'll second the volunteer idea. Having worked several times with Habitat for Humanity (as well as being involved in a host of other activities) I have had some experience with volunteering. There are few other ways to get to know a person better. A person's true characteristics come through loud and clear. All of the opportunities Janna mentioned will give you an excellent chance to help someone out and get to know your *sort of* girlfriend better.

I'd look into it if I were you.

10. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

Janna...thanks for the volunteering suggestion (and the rest of the ideas too). We've both done a bit in the past, that would be fun for sure [​IMG]
    Michael: I'll take her camping this spring/summer if we're still dating [​IMG]

11. Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson Stunt Coordinator

"Take her to the zoo."

12. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

How about ice fishing?

13. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Take her to a dark creepy room and stare at each other.

I have no idea and I am the one who will be back in the shallow dating pool again very soon here.

14. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

Back when we were just dating, my wife and I liked to go to Science and Natural History Museums. They usually had some neat exhibits and hands on experiments that can be fun.

Another suggestion is Aquariums. Here in Dallas we have this "World Aquarium" that is kind of neat. You would start out on the top level above the fish where they have an indoor rainforest type setting. Monkeys would swing from tree to tree and birds would walk across the paths and stuff like that. You would descend along the path until you would go below the water line and into a cave where you could see the fish life.

Art museums are neat if you like that kind of stuff.

Also, if you are willing to spend a bit of money, you could check out to see if any musicals or other stage shows are passing through your area (Phantom of the Opera, Les Mis, Stomp, etc...).

Murder Mystery dinners can be fun if you can get into the right mind set.

Comedy clubs, to me, are generally boring unless you hit the Comedy Sports type of clubs, Im not talking about clubs where you watch sports bloopers. These clubs are like local "Whose line is it anyway?" venues where the acts are more improv and have audience participation, not just some stand-up mouthing off about how round toilet seats creep him out or something like that.

Board/Card games at your local coffee shop can be an inexpensive way to get out. Our local Starbucks has backgammon, checkers, or cards. We usually bring a game and sip on coffee. Our games of choice these days are: Cribbage, Fluxx (neat card game..never the same game twice), Guillotine (also a neat card game by Wizards of the Coast), or Phase 10.

Good luck!

-ikiru