Dates for next systems from Sony, Microsoft, Nintedo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Holton, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Jeff Holton

Jeff Holton Stunt Coordinator

I've searched through and found some random information about the "next" generation systems...

Does anyone have info on the estimated dates for the new systems from all three companies...

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Sony is producing a new technology called CELL that will be used in the PS3 with some other companies, and I think they will be able to test it in around 2004, so a console would be out at 2005-2006 earliest.

MS said they would try to have a new console ready sometime around the next World Cup.

Nintendo is trying to get a longer-than-normal lifespan out of the GameCube, so it should be their main focus until around 2007-2008.

Though no official dates have been given. It's a little early in every console's life to start throwing info around about the new consoles.

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Thank god for that info Morgan. I'd hate to purchase more consoles again right now. There is LOT'S of life left in the current crop of game machines.
    -Andre F

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Yeah because I plan on buying a gamecube in the next little while.

5. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

I'm so glad I've got all of the current consoles--how nice it is, not having to worry about buying another console for another three years. . .

6. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

What I'm wondering is...

Not that Gamecube (got it) and XBox (want it) aren't good systems, but right now Sony seems to have a such a huge lead that it appears that the other consoles will never catch up. In the next generation do you think there will be a greater effort to be the first console out? Or that two will launch with only one wating a year? Sony's early launch sold it into a huge lead and made it the sold out must have item that the other two failed to capture.

jeremy

7. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

I thought I read somewhere that the GCN is the last console for Nintendo? Just software and handhelds. I swear I remember reading this somewhere. [​IMG]

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    As I understand it, the next generation consoles will require you to download the games and pay a nominal playing fee each time. Seem to be moving away from the purchasing of games on cd/DVD/cartrige.

9. Mikah Woodward

Mikah Woodward Stunt Coordinator

Well, in that case, you can forget about me buying one.

Besides, there are 10,000 games for the consoles I have that I don't own yet. I probably should stay away from the really bad ones, though.

10. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Same here. I know some companies might be drooling over the possibilities of "pay-to-play" for everything (not just games, but movies and music too), but I think most consumers prefer having something tangible that they can own, keep on a shelf, and stick in the player themselves. Any product that forces me to pay every time I want to use it isn't getting my money, even if the fee is small.

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Sony wants to move away from actually having a physical copy of the game to play. I doubt they will get it up and running in time or that people will fully except it.

The thing about Nintendo dropping consoles isn't true. They are going to focus more resources on developing games than hardware, whereas Sony and MS are already spending money to develop their next consoles. Nintendo also wants a longer-than-normal lifespan from the GameCube.

12. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

13. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

Sony will annihilate their customer base if they proceed with a "download only" model of gaming -- it appears we will forever be haunted by the ghost of Divx.

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I really hope they don't do this. I would rather they set up a model where you can buy the game in the store, and if the disc gets broken or something, still be able to access a copy of it online (stream it or something). This way, I can still have a real copy of the game to bring to my friend's house or something and I can still get the game if it breaks.

Or they could just include a HDD on the console and you could put the game on it.

15. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

That sounds to me like a hint that Nintendo is getting out of the hardware business. While the Gamecube is a competitive game console in 2001 by 2k8 it will be comparable to playing games on one of those Apple II computers I grew up with in the 80's. They would be better off milking the Gamecube market for all it's worth for the next couple of years and then releasing their games on everyone else's consoles.

16. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Nintendo's got enough money in the bank that they could coast off the GameCube and GBA for a good seven or eight years before they would absolutely have to come out with something new. I doubt they will, though -- if Sony and MS release their new consoles in 2005 as widely expected then I think we will see a new Nintendo system in 2006, simply because no company, regardless of how much money they're sitting on, likes to lose money.

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The SNES was alive until after the N64 came out, the PSX is still live and kickin' 7 years after it came out, and the GameBoy didn't get a new edition (excluding Pocket) for a while. They can keep the GameCube alive if they keep making good games for it.

18. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

...only if the GCN sells near the numbers of those systems you mention, Morgan. That's why those systems lasted so long.

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

True. It seems like Nintendo is trying to get more third-party support and reach a broader audience with the GameCube (by making it easy to program for, promoting violent games, and buying exclusives). All of this, combined with 4 major games coming out within a 6 month period (Mario, then StarFox, then Metroid, then Zelda) shows how much they're trying to get people to buy the GameCube.

20. BorisM

BorisM Stunt Coordinator

Nintendo will continue to produce software and entice third-parties to produce software for the Gamecube. If they are profitable enough from it, then they will indeed produce another hardware console, and it will most probably launch at the exact same time as the PS3 and the XBOX2. I am pretty of sure of that.

However, if Nintendo is not profitable enough (by their standards, of course) then they may well move in the same direction as SEGA has. SEGA has higher margins than they ever had in the past with any console dragging them down. Nintendo has a strong enough base to become a third-party developer. Imagine what they could do if they leveraged their key franchises to the max. I could easily go for a new Zelda every year. Or a new Mario every year. I would call that a little piece of video game heaven.