What's new

Dates and times for 70mm 2001 SF screening (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
For anyone who is interested here are the dates that 2001 will be playing at the Castro Theatre in San Francisco.
November 21 through December 6
It will play three times a day 1pm, 4:30pm, 8pm.
You can get additional information at here.
------------------

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Tempting. Very tempting.
wink.gif

~Edwin

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
From WIRED News:
2001: A Re-Release Odyssey
By Jason Silverman
2:00 a.m. Oct. 13, 2001 PDT
Stanley Kubrick was never a darling of the Hollywood studios; his films were generally delivered late and over-budget.
2001: A Space Odyssey, originally budgeted at $6 million, ultimately cost MGM $11 million. And Kubrick missed the intended delivery date by two full years.
So some may find it appropriate -- a joke of cosmic proportions? -- that the newly restored 2001 won't be coming to a theater near you ... until 2002.
Except for limited runs in Seattle, Washington D.C., San Francisco and Los Angeles this fall, Kubrick's seminal sci-fi epic isn't scheduled for movie houses until at least next year. According to a spokesman from Warner Bros., which is handling the release, that's only if this year's screenings are sufficiently profitable.
Kubrick, who died in 1998, would have been disappointed -- he looked forward to having audiences reevaluate 2001 in 2001, And the film's many fans, some of whom heard rumors of a Dec. 31, 2000, release, are growing frustrated.
Among them is film critic Roger Ebert, who will use his TV show this weekend to promote the film (and perhaps scold Warner Bros.).
"It disturbs me that 2001 is not getting a proper national release," Ebert said. "For a while, Warners was even wondering whether to re-release it at all."
Originally released in April 1968, less than a year before the U.S. moon landing, 2001 was received with disdain by many critics. (Pauline Kael called it "a monumentally unimaginative movie.") But the film's trippy, otherworldly imagery, coupled with the era's star-gazing obsessions, gave the film a cultish appeal. That cult has only grown stronger during the past 23 years.
Some sci-fi buffs who see the restored 2001 will likely try to gauge the success of Kubrick and collaborator Arthur C. Clarke as futurists.
Interplanetary commuter travel? Not yet. Hotels in the sky? Nope. Homicidal computers with feelings? Not on my desk.
But, as Kubrick said, 2001 was not a forecast but a fable, and those who look beyond the crystal-ball musings might discover the film's considerable appeal. Some of the special effects, created 20 years before computer-generated imagery, are dated, and the film's insights on deep space today seem less than deep. Still, 2001 retains much of its mythic power.
One reason is Kubrick's vast ambition, which seems especially admirable in an era of mostly mindless sci-fi. ("In 1968 we dreamed bigger dreams and were more optimistic," Ebert said.) Another is 2001's position as an essential piece of film history. A group of movie buffs named 2001's multi-millennial jump cut -- a caveman's bone morphing into a spinning satellite -- the greatest shot in film history.
Some would even go as far to divide science fiction filmmaking into two eras: pre-2001 and post-2001. In 1968, the French magazine L'Express described 2001 as "Year One in the cinema of the future," and Kubrick's film was, at least for Hollywood, something completely different: nearly silent, densely symbolic, overwhelmingly imagistic, non-narrative, contemplative. For those bored with the B-movie outer-space thrillers of the 1950s and '60s, 2001 could seem revelatory: sci-fi with brains.
The restored version of 2001, which premiered at Ebert's Overlooked Film Festival last April, features 70 mm prints re-mastered from the original negative and digitally re-mastered sound.
"Seeing it on a big screen in 70mm is not just seeing a better picture, but essentially having a different experience," Ebert said. "Those unlucky enough to have seen it only on video have not really seen it at all."
Copyright © 1994-2001 Wired Digital Inc. All rights reserved.
------------------

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
I saw it in Seattle this past Monday at the Cinerama. The print was beautiful. This was the first time I had ever seen 2001 in 70MM. They did an amazing job!
I saw the 3:30pm showing. I was suprised at how many people were there (probably a little more than half full). If you have the opportunity to see this, run don't walk!

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
2001 opens at the Egyptian Theater in Los Angeles on December 21st. I've gotta travel 200 miles from NJ to see it in Washington DC but, having seen it twice on a Cinerama screen, it's going to be more than worth it!
--Bill

John Stockton

Second Unit
Does anyone know what kind of sound will be accompanied with the new 70 MM print? I really hope that they utilize the original 5 channels behind the screen configuration. Although not many theatres are equipped with 5 speakers behind the screen.
------------------
[Edited last by John Stockton on October 15, 2001 at 03:51 PM]

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
Since 70mm has now come to the Twin Cities (at the beautifully remodeled Heights Theater in Columbia Heights), I'm really hoping we'll see 2001 here sooner or later. Just saw Spartacus in 70 the other night (my first 70mm experience), and was amazed. This week: Vertigo.
:)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I am walking distance from the Castro...heheheheh
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
To Darren H.: 2001 starts at the Uptown in DC on November 2nd for a two-week run. Last day will be November 15th (probably to make room for HARRY POTTER).
--Bill

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The Egyptian Theatre does not have Cinerama screen. They used to have a slightly curved Dimension 150 screen, but I believe that is gone. Standard screens are flat or slightly curved (hardly anymore) and solid. Cinerama screens have a 146 degree curve (those few that remain) and vertical slats rather than a solid surface to eliminate any washout of the image from one side to the other.
I don't believe that exhibition of "2001" ever had a 5 channel front array. Only the 3 projector Cinerama films had 7 channels - 5 front speakers, two sides and a rear one which was used for panning effects utilizing sound from the side speakers. I believe the 70mm "2001" had a 6 channel soundtrack.
[Edited last by Peter Kline on October 16, 2001 at 02:51 PM]

John Stockton

Second Unit
Peter
2001 did have a, Five channel behind the screen presentation. I saw a nice 70 MM print in 1990 which used the original six track magnetic with 5 screen channels and 1 surround channel.
------------------

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Silverman's story in Wired was off-base and uninformed (for one, the effects in 2001 have not"dated").
I was a little suprised about the selection of The Egyptian for this town, though.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Jun-Dai Bates

Stunt Coordinator
It's unfortunate that they're revamping the castro _after_ the 2001 showing. It sure would be nice to watch that film in comfortable seats. Anyways, I'm all over it. I'm sure I spend more time at the Castro than at all other theaters combined!

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
2001 opens at the Egyptian Theater in Los Angeles on December 21st.
This is indeed bad news. The "new" Egyptian has a flat screen and a truly awkward auditorium with 2/3 of the seats offering too low an angle to the screen. Hopefully 2001 will be shown next year at the new Dome.
------------------
Gerardo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks