Data Recovery - Anyone??

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mark Nguyen, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Mark Nguyen

Mark Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

Anyone here work for a data recovery company? My 120GB drive crashed but I know the platter is still good to recover data straight from. I like to retrieve that data on it but hesitate to pay $300-$500 to get it restored from places I've found.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

My 120GB Maxtor also failed, just didn't show up in My Computer one day on bootup. I fretted my butt off but did some researching. I was able to recover the data with a combination of the freezer trick + OnTrack EasyRecovery data recovery software.

May sound crazy but putting the HD in a couple of air-tight ziplocks and sticking it in the freezer over night relieves the platters of the "sticktion effect" and can allow you to pull data off it for a limited amount of time. I had to do it 3 times and one time it even showed up in My Computer. Clicked on it and it instantly disappeared, but EasyRecovery always saw it and was able to pull stuff off for 30-45 minutes at a time (YMMV!). Then back to the freezer it went until I got it all. Sounds crazy but Google it some and you'll see others who've also had this work.

Now I bought a couple of 200gb Seagates and aim a 92mm fan at em. Never want that to happen again! btw- ygpm

3. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

4. Mark Nguyen

Mark Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the tips so far but I can't do that due to the following:

- the boot up (BIOS) can't identify the drive.
    - when i put that crashed drive in as a SLAVE it messed up the BIOS and it can't even detect my primary disk.

I unplugded the drive from the IDE connnector and just leave power and listen to see if the drive spins..it doesn't even spin. I think there's some circuit problem.

Mark