Dashboard DVD Player blamed for Murder

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Chris, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

2. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Seems a bit lenient.

Aftermarket DVD-playing head units/in-dash monitors are typically installed so that the parking brake must be engaged in order for DVDs to play. This is a safety feature. However, it is very easy to bypass or disable. Now, we don't know the full details of the incident, but if the owner of the truck deliberately modified the installation of his DVD player to play while the car was in motion, then I would hope that could be classified as premeditation.

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I repeatedly see this occuring, though, with DVDs playing in the dash of people's cars while I drive by them.

4. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

There are ways of getting around the parking brake having to be on.

5. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

Couldn't they just eject the disc to see if there was a video file on the disc to be blamed. I am guilty of occasionally watching a dvd while driving in my SUV, which is probably bad judgement. Then, I pull up to the guy shaving, talking on the phone, and smoking. (Not kidding!!)
    Just about anything can be distracting while driving, not that this is an excuse by any means.

6. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

if an installer installed it and bypassed the safety device, he is liable, I see way too many people on the road who are marginal to begin with, then add the cell phones (which states are banning) and just sheer stupidity and you get accidents, states are afraid to pull licenses for people who shouldn't drive, I've seen the tester walk people through to get an answer that was so simple if they didn't know they need to take the bus

7. JamesMH

JamesMH Stunt Coordinator

shaving/talking/smoking doesn't require his eyes, watching a dvd does, sorry Shawn. [​IMG]

8. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

You are correct, I apologize. That would be much safer.

9. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

the guy got off on all charges.

10. David.G

David.G Stunt Coordinator

Its pretty stupid for drivers to be watching a DVD while driving. Its dumb to be shaving or putting on makeup too. These things take the focus off the road and onto the screen or the mirror.

Talking on a cell phone isn't that bad as long as they aren't tryig something with the other hand too like eating. Too bad the guy got off on all charges because his own stupidity of driving killed two people. If i was the victim's family, that driver better be expecting a huge civil case cause i'm getting all his freaking money.

but you know whats even worse. Damn SUVs. I hope they get the 6k law approved for SUVs.

11. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

The rest of the story that didn't make the national news is the the accused was found innocent of all charges because: there was only speculation that he was watching a DVD, no proof, and the witnesses said the driver of the other vehicle was driving very reckless (passing in no passing zones, in excess of 90 mph) within 30 seconds of the accident. Of course the state lost the skid mark evidence and none of the actual facts surrounding the accident were brought to the grand jury. This was truly a case of an DA trying to get her name in the paper.

12. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

13. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

You're joking, right? If not, your license should be revoked immediately.

Doug