Das Boot with SVS 20-39cs subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Br, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Since I have only heard my SVS dual 20-39cs(new driver) play the depth chrage scenes from Das Boot I was wondering if anyone could help me with how it sounded for them. I am running the 2 subs off of a samson s-700 amp, I am setup +5 over refernce for my normal listening of dvd's. I have a challeging room of about 9000cf. I watched this movie for the second time and during the depth charge scenes I am not hearing much, you basically see alot more than you here, just hear a kind of muffled sound and thats it. Other users who have played this scene, what does it sound and feel like to you? The best scene in the movie to test my SVS is the storm riding scene, that gets really intense. My guess is due to my large room I am really rolling off after 30hz or so. If this is the problem(I am not sure as I have not heard this as I have said) could I EQ these lower frequencys up, or is it time to add another sub, or move to a better room.

Greg

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Greg,

Das Boot has some excellent sound but frankly it's not the best demo for deep/loud bass. There was a good bit of discussion about this some time back. For lack of a better term, many of the explosions were somewhat muted. The theory was that Director Wolfgang Peterson, on the remix for DVD kept things this way (the whole underwater hearing thing) on purpose. If you are not calibrated a bit hot, you might try about 5dB over on this one to get the kick you want. Do keep overall levels down, or the sub level remote button handy if you push things till the sub bottoms.

There are a number of movies out there with fantastic sound that are simply not state of the art subwoofer torture tests. Another that comes to mind is Apollo 13. Good sound, but very restrained bass, even where the sound engineers could have knocked it out of the park (the lift off for example). My own theory on that is that both these titles are quite old and done today, with the knowledge that high capacity subs are more and more the norm in top home theaters, there would be a bit louder, deeper bass mixed in. One only needs to see what was done with The Phantom Menace and Toy Story 2 to see that some more recent soundtracks take FULL advantage of the dynamic range in a DD or DTS LFE track.

If you have a super peaky sub, and/or have never calibrated it properly (that is it's set way loud) something like Das Boot can be pretty overwhelming/boomy experience. Done right it's much more subtle than you would imagine.

Fortunately there is no shortage of "un-subtle" bass demos if you want them. Our website if full of them. Apollo 13 and Das Boot remain sentimental favorites at SVS regardless. I had the pleasure of seeing Das Boot on its original release to theaters in Germany way back in 1981 (I believe); it remains one of the most powerful statements about war I've seen.

Ron

3. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Ron,

should you stumble upon this thread again I echo your statemnts. I was just wondering if it was me or if Das Boots depth charges were a bit muted and you cleared that up. I think U-571 has unreal sound and the depth chargers are much clearer and deeper to most home theater systems.

The definitive domos for me are anything from The Haunting and Atlantis, The Lost Empire chapet 5 Layer of the Leviathan, that absolutely is scary at or above reference.