Das Boot Uncut -- Is it just me or...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd_Michael_R, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Todd_Michael_R

Todd_Michael_R Stunt Coordinator

...is the original German dialogue mixed too low?

I thought my system somehow became uncalibrated until I switched to the English dub OOC and the dialogue levels popped right back up. I then switched back to German w/English subtitles and boosted the gain on my center a few dBs for the duration of the film.

Anyone else experience something like this?

Todd

2. Matt_Wizall

Matt_Wizall Agent

Ya know, that's a good point. I rented this from Netflicks and recall the dialogue volume being pretty quiet. It didn't occur to me to try the dub track though. Strange.

3. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    This is off topic, but I find myself unavoidably choosing the english dub as well as the english subtitles for Das Boot. It's interesting to see because even though several of the english speaking actors (Jürgen Prochnow included) did their own dubs, rarly do the subtitles and spoken dialogue match. Watching both together IMO gives the best impression of what the characters are trying to get across.

4. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

Funny, I would think that listening to the Original German dialogue, from the original actors, in the original language of the script, combined with the english subtitles that you need to comprehend the story line, would give you the impression of what the actors are trying to get across [​IMG]
    That's just my opinion, though.

5. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    Speaking of DAS BOOT, does anyone else prefer the shorter theatrical cut to the "Director's Cut"? I thought the theatrical cut was tight (and have held on to my old LD for that reason) while the director's cut dragged (but I own this on DVD, too). Even though I prefer the shorter cut, I'd still like th opportunity ot see (and would probably buy) the 6 hour German TV minseries version.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, having the original actors dub themselves is a big plus in the accuracy of a dubbing performance

You should still be watching it in German

I've said it before, and I'll say it again

If you support OAR, but not OSL, you are being hypocritical

7. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

For the record, calling the 3.5-hour director's cut of "Das Boot" "uncut" is incorrect. The original version of the film was a six-hour-long television miniseries.

8. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Ouch, ouch! You guy needed to wait a minute. The flamesuit takes so darn long to put on.[​IMG]
    My point was that in Das Boot's case, the english dub had the full authorization and support of Wolfgang Petersen and many of the original actors came back to re-dub their lines. That's a far cry from about 98% of all other foreign-language releases out there. Das Boot's case is a unique one. (I also probably didn't say that it's the only film of it's type that I watch this way.

9. Christoph Oelckers

Christoph Oelckers Auditioning

Don't forget:

The English dub is heavily dumbed down for British television. Most of the stronger language has been removed from this version.

10. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Curious, because when one of the sub's crew make a joke, it's usually a different joke from the subtitles to the dub. BUT the subtitle joke is innocent, whereas the dub joke is raunchy.

I guess a dirtier joke could also be construed as being "dumbed down". You make a good point though Cristoph, I didn't think to consider who the english dub was originally aimed for.

11. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

FYI (non-German Speaking members):

The original German Soundtrack is full of explicit references to sex and contains heavy swearing.

12. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

Both the German and English tracks do not match the lips of the actors, and some lines were changed from script to film even in the German version. Both tracks are dubs, as noise on the set was such that dialogue could not be recorded during filming. The German track however comes much closer to matching the lips than the English dub...duhh.

It is my understanding that the German dialogue is from the original dubbing sessions when the film was originally produced. The English dub on the DVD was produced for the DVD release. This means the newer track has the advantage of being recorded with newer, higher-quality (digital?) equipment, meaning the English a has a quality edge over the German track. This might explain level differences of the center channel between the German and English tracks.

If I'm wrong in this regard, please correcet me.

13. Todd_Michael_R

Todd_Michael_R Stunt Coordinator

Ken wrote:

14. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

15. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

16. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    You'll never convert me!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....eh? Someones at the door...
    Hey...you can't come in here...DON'T TOUCH MY REMOTE....
    They BROKE my Audio button!
    Bastards![​IMG]

17. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy

18. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    FYI, the current 3.5 hour Das Boot IS the Director's Cut. On the commentary track and the extra features, Petersen clearly states this version of Das Boot is the definitive version he wanted to present. Not the two hour theatrical version, not the six hour television version. He also had problems accepting the excessive vulgar language in the TV version.

The only improvement I can see being implemented in the current version of the movie is the release of a non-flipper DVD version. The flipper version cuts a crucial scene right in the middle! Enough with the flippers! This is the one carry-over from Laserdiscs I'd rather do without!

19. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yup, as was just said this is Peterson's definative version of Das Boot

Maybe the subs are off on the PAL disc, and that they didn't change them to 25 fps timecode. Mine sync just fine

20. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink