What's new

DAS BOOT Question... (1 Viewer)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Question for those of you who own DAS BOOT...

I am considering grabbing this movie but...
Is the Superbit version a worthwhile upgrade over the original or is the original disc with the commentary (the only extra on the original) worth having?

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
this wont help you much...but pick up both. besides, having a back-up copy of this gem isnt such a bad idea!! theres also a making of feature/behind the scenes as well on the original.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
What sort of display are you viewing? The original video quality was ok several years ago, but the Superbit is better according to the reviews I've read. The improvement in the video quality may not be noticeable on all sets.

Do you listen to commentaries? The one on the original dvd is very good. If you don't listen to them, then the Superbit is probably the smarter purchase.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Well, video is not my primary concern. It was more of old commentary vs new DTS audio. Is the commentary worth sacrificing for the new GREAT audio? I have listened to commentaries, but generally, not more than once. Is it that good of a track?

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Adam, I have the original one I'd sell cheap if you want it (I just got the superbit for my Bday)
Although it doesn't have DTS the Dolby Digital on it is absolute reference stuff.

Jeff

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
JEff, I don't necessarily want the original version. Let me rephrase:

I like commentaries. I have a great sound system.

Which should find its way into my collection:
1) original release because of the commentary? Is the commentary enough to sacrifice the great sound and video?
2) Superbit because of superior audio and video? Is superior audio and video enough to sacrifice a (great?) commentary?

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Hi Adam,

Well I've never been into commentaries so I'd put my vote out for the absolute best video/audio presentation available, especially since you have a good system.

You could always just rent the original one if you wanted to hear the commentary once or so.

Jeff

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
Well I'm getting the superbit since it will probably be the best the A/V will be on DVD. Renting the original to hear the commentary is a good idea too.

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
"Das Boot" is one of those movies where the soundtrack really, REALLY draws you into the whole movie. It is un-frickin-believable how realistic and absorbing the sound effects are. I thought our house was springing a leak the first time I saw this movie! Because of this, I would definitely say to go with the version with the better sound.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
After seeing the Superbit Das Boot last night, the first part of the movie looks bad but after about 10 minutes it clears up and boy does it look fantastic. This is one reference quaility disc with indeed superior audio.

Since I don't watch commentaries and can rent the other, I went with the superbit and I'm very happy I did.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The decision I've come to, after being pissed off about the earlier R1 disc being a flipper and the new one needlessly including a dub instead of the commentary, is to buy the R2 RSDL disc that (I believe) includes the commentary. I'll live with the PAL speedup (and since I don't understand spoken German, I expect I probably won't even notice it). If you're multiregion capable, you might consider that option too.

Brian SK

Auditioning
I had the old one and will buy the new one. Being a historian and collector of WWII militaria, i am a sucker for any realistic WWII movie, there are very few out there that are bigger budget. Most of the best ones are Euro made and most not on DVD. Stalingrad being good, Saving Private Ryan being VERY good, but outside the opening Normandy sequence the movie is not based on much fact. Unless you really understand WWII German and how things were done in combat, than most will not notice the many flaws. Sorry i am getting off subject matter. I am leaving the soapbox now :) Back to the subject at hand!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
FYI, if you're wanting to go the R2 route, Blackstar has a deal where you can get 2 selected DVDs for L16.99 total; Das Boot is one of them (regular price by itself is L17.99) so if you have another one in the group you want you can get the pair pretty cheaply.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks