What's new

Das Boot, Non Flipper? (1 Viewer)

Ben_Hu

Agent
Has this ever been released in a non flipper. I seem to remember it supposed to be getting a new release, but no one could ever find it. I've wanted to get it for a long time but have been hesitant due to the rumors, is there a way to tell if it is a flipper or not from the packaging.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Ben,

Please use question marks in your thread titles when asking a question.

An exclamation point to me reads... "I have information on a non-flipper version of Das Boot!"

Thanks,

Doug

Eric Bass

Second Unit
There have been rumors for years now about this happening. I seem to recall that the R2 release is one-sided but you should confirm that with a reliable source. I got tired of waiting and just got the flipper. Aside from having to flip the disc, and the break coming at an inopportune time, it's a great disk as is.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Please use an '?' next time. The thread title implied that you had knowledge of the existance of a non-flipper. Thanks.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Since Das Boot IS pretty long and has so many sound choices, perhaps Columbia found a DVD-10 to handle the compression better than one DVD-9.

I found the quality to be pretty good for a 20+ yr. movie.

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know what's more annoying, the lack of a question mark in the topic header, or people feeling the need to hammer on someone for an innocent mistake after the first friendly reminder.

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
Ohhhhhh....I thought we were ON here!!!! Maybe soon Ben, lots of us looking forward to this news (as you might have noticed :)
Jon

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Jeez, you MADE THE POINT ALREADY. I'm sure you'll someday recover from the immense pain of getting excited over a misleading thread subject.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
What's going on in here? The guy made a mistake, it was pointed out and I have fixed the thread title. Everyone in here needs to calm down before further action becomes necessary on my part.

Adam Barratt

HTF Administrator

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Let me get this thread going in the right direction again.....

This title seem like a perfect candidate for SUPERBIT treatment. (Please do not turn this into a SUPERBIT debate)

Single sided, dual layer, German DD 5.1 ex, German DTS 5.1 or 6.1 es!

If you want the commentary or english dub, just hang on to your old flipper.

I HAVE SPOKEN!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just for the record I would like to say I don't know why a person would avoid purchasing this movie just because the disc has to be flipped. I have the disc and for the amount of time it takes to flip it over I just don't see a reason to avoid buying the film, especially if you like it. The video quality is good and the surround sound mix is one of the best I have heard. Being a flipper would not be a reason for me not to buy this disc.
I do not know if you have ever been welcomed to this forum, so I would like to take the time to say welcome .

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Single sided, dual layer, German DD 5.1 ex, German DTS 5.1 or 6.1 es!
Even with DTS 6.1, DD 5.1, 16x9 1.85:1 transfer, the film is still 216 minutes long. Putting all that on one dual-layered disc would compromise the quality. After all, even Cast Away and Big Trouble in Little China require one disc to hold just the video and audio due to the DTS. Even the superbits take nearly the entire disc for shorter films than Das Boot.

Is having one less disc really more important than having better image/audio quality?

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I would rather a 2 disc set than a flipper. that way i could just load both disca and not have to leave the lazy boy for a few hours.

JustinW

Grip
I've got the R4 release and it's not a flipper, it also looks to be similar if not the same as the R1 in the way of extras.

Users who are viewing this thread