Das Boot - New one coming out in Dec....Flipper?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian O, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

I saw on Amazon that Das Boot is being re-released in December. Is this the exact same flipper disc as the original release or a new non-flipper?
    ------------------

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please let it be RSDL. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

3. Geo Gabor

Geo Gabor Stunt Coordinator

When it was first rumored that the DVD would be released as RSDL (a year ago?), I sold my flipper on eBay. Then no RSDL came. I'll be REALLY disappointed if they don't do it right this time. I have a hankerin' to watch this movie again.

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I don't own the original release due to it being a flipper, an RSDL re-issue would be welcome though a superbit version with the movie spread over two disc would be even more lovely. [​IMG]
    Dan (UK)

5. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Oh, come on! The movie is 4 hours long! Sure, flippers were annoying back in the early days with 2 hours movies being split, but this movie is Godfather 2 length. Maybe people should be asking for 2 RSDL disc instead.
    Moving the movie onto a single RSDL will increase compression artifacts, unless something is taken out, like the commentary track or featurette.

6. Ben Simpson

Ben Simpson Auditioning

Here is a review of the Region 4 PAL version of Das Boot Directors Cut which is on a dual layered single sided disc.So there is no reason that an identical NTSC version could not be made.
    http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...orsCutDean.asp
    That December 18th date is dubious in my opinion.They have the same release date up for Open Your Eyes,which is commonly available elsewhere...and was released a couple of months ago...Amazon never recieved enough copies of that at the time and so didn't ship my pre-order...and now its listed as an upcoming release.I think we'll just get more of the same versions on that day,unfortunatly.
    [Edited last by Ben Simpson on November 06, 2001 at 07:34 PM]

7. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    As far as I'm concerned, they could toss the 5.1 English track and just keep the German 5.1 and the English subtitles.
    Maybe they've got a deal worked out with Kenwood on flippers. Anyone wonder why, with so few flippers being produced now-a-days, the new Kenwood Sovereign DVD changers have a rotating arm which flips the disc for you inside the changer. Neat idea....just years too late to get my dollar.
    Or maybe it's a deal with the studios so they can put the WS version on one side and the P&S version on the other...
    I'm gonna shut up now before I get myself paranoid. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

8. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

I suspect this is just a pre-Christmas repricing of the existing disc. The packaging is identical so far as I can tell.

9. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Dan - why on earth haven't you picked up the UK version already then? It's been in HMV sales countless times and has a commentary to boot.
    Of course I will not buy it because the film is a sliced up abomination of a great 6 hours+ mini-series. That is what we need on DVD, not this movie-version crap. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
    My Novelty Coasters

10. Allan Petersen

Allan Petersen Stunt Coordinator

Amazon lists this one as a single-layered disc (but who trusts them anyway, right? [​IMG]). I own the R2 disc, which is single-side RSDL and contains the exact same features. If an identical R1 version comes out, I will certainly buy one to replace my current disc.
    BTW, the image quality on the R2 version is okay, if not great. It might be suffering form the dreaded PAL-speedup, however. I haven’t checked.

11. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

12. YANG

YANG Second Unit

"...an RSDL re-issue would be welcome though a superbit version with the movie spread over two disc would be even more lovely..."
    SUPERBIT?I don't think the 5.1 DTS audio will be very impressive,given that the current german DD5.1 in the UK R2 release is more good than enough!
    A little more bits to the visual quality...maybe,yes...
    DAS BOOT is more than 15yrs old...in fact,the film is celebrating its 20th anniversary!
    [Edited last by YANG on November 07, 2001 at 11:03 AM]

13. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

"SUPERBIT?I don't think the 5.1 DTS audio will be very impressive,given that the current german DD5.1 in the UK R2 release is more good than enough!
    A little more bits to the visual quality...maybe,yes..."
    I disagree, I think the DD 5.1 soundtrack is one of the harshes I've heard. I think Das Boot could benefit from a smooth but yet dynamic soundtrack that I usually hear from DTS encoded soundtracks.

14. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

15. Allan Petersen

Allan Petersen Stunt Coordinator

I was referring to the sound, but I can see how it might confuse other readers. Sorry about that.

16. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Dan, I'm aware that you are dubious about PAL but I will buy a movie that looks like it's been rendered on a 386 due to pulldown if it's cheap, so I presumed you would do the same for features, etc. in PAL [​IMG]
    The point of being multiregional is surely to have the best of both worlds?
    ------------------
    My Novelty Coasters

17. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

DTS for a superbit is not really what would attract me (I'm not a huge DTS fanatic). A better image transfer done with the quality and care of a superbit title would, however, really appeal especially if spread over 2 RSDL discs.

18. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Sounds like you really do need to leave this shithole of a country. Personally, it's my shithole and I'm bally well staying. Pip-pip, old bean. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Novelty Coasters

19. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the fact that the subtitles used on the DVD are absolutely abominable???
    Do a comparison of the video to the DVD and weep as dialogue is changed and edited to fit the slow updating subs they used!
    In many scenes you can read the answers to questions before the person has even spoke! It's absolutely AWFUL!
    ~ John
    ------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/fwwmfight
    Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me DVD
    Fight for the Deleted Scenes Petition
    http://www.geocities.com/fwwmfight

20. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer