What's new

Darren Aronofsky's sci-fi epic "The Fountain" set to go (1 Viewer)

Juan C

Second Unit
October 13 to be exact according to aintitcool.
Another positive review here (mild spoilers): http://www.freezedriedmovies.com/review.php?id=193
"Some might call this Aronofsky's Magnolia"... Those are strong words indeed.
But I fear this will be another film Warner won't know how to market, just like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
-edit: Rachel Weisz gave birth to a baby boy on May 31. Congrats to Darren and Rachel.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Jeff Cooper said:
I loved Donnie Darko, Pi, and Reqiem for a Dream, but absolutely hated Dancer in the Dark.
That said, I can't wait for this film! :emoji_thumbsup:
Pi, Requiem and Donnie Darko were great. Dancer in the Dark is a bit different from the others though. It is very odd yes, but not quite in the same vein as the rest. I knew nothing about DITD when I bought it, but I've always liked Sugarcubes / Bjork so I bought it blind. I LOVE the music in the movie, but I was totally thrown off by the opening scene in the factory and fact that it is basically a musical - really the only thing that makes it such an unusual movie.
Still very interested in The Fountain...

Nick C.

Second Unit
I saw Three Times months ago. Hou is markedly different in substance and style than Aronofsky. The former being a minimalist in style, dialogue, etc. It's far from sci-fi/fantasy genre and from the synopsis I've read about the Fountain, they are completely different aside from same actors playing same roles in different time periods (which has been done countless times before as a device of continuity).

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
just trying to stimulate the thread. i heard it's coming in august. =). good thing i'll have time off from school to go catch it.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Too far away for me to get too excited about...but the Graphic Novel is still in the plastic, and this is still my #1 film for the year :)
So about 4 months away...

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
read news from a comic con over the weekend that DC plans to release fountain graphic novel in October to coincide with the movie release.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
That graphic novel has been out for months. It's quite good. It even says in the foreward that it's different from the movie, so it's probably safe to read without spoiling the movie.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I hope that October 13th release date sticks, unless they want to move the release up of course. Requiem for a Dream is my all time favorite film, and I quite loved Pi as well. For me, 2006 hasn't had much to get excited about so far, but this is definitely a film I'm dying to see. This and Lynch's Inland Empire (if it hits this year) are my two most anticipated 2006 films.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
YiFeng said:
so the comic novel is like a prequel to the film?
No, the comic is pretty much a different version of the film. It's what Aronofsky wanted to film if he had Brad Pitt and huge budget, but when that fell apart, he started fresh on the film, and turned his old story into a graphic novel.

MikeRS

Screenwriter
YiFeng said:
so the comic novel is like a prequel to the film?
No.
It's an adaptation/comic artist's interpretation of the earlier BIG BUDGETED version of the script (Brad Pitt/Cate Blanchett). Basically, when the original film production fell through, Aronofsky still wanted the story told in some kind of medium. So he worked with Kent Williams on the graphic novel.

But he still had the itch to tell this story on film. So a year goes by, and he rewrote the original script, working out a way to tell the tale for half the original production's budget. The Hugh Jackman version became it's own distinct vision of the 'story' he was going to film back in 2002.
ARONOFSKY:
“Sure, there will ultimately be two ‘versions’ of the story out there, but one doesn’t take anything away from the other. People may like the film more than the graphic novel, or may like the graphic novel more than the film, but they will be two different experiences. It won’t be like you’re re-living the graphic novel by going to see the film, or reliving the film if you read the graphic novel. They started with the same source, and turned into two completely different things.”

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
doh, i'm sorry. I meant to say that DC will be releasing a SOFTCOVER version of the graphic novel in october. Yep, i've had the HC since christmas.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Aaron Cooke said:
doh, i'm sorry. I meant to say that DC will be releasing a SOFTCOVER version of the graphic novel in october. Yep, i've had the HC since christmas.
Good, then I won't be tempted to buy it till I see the film. :)
Now that this has settled into a very definite release plan it's made it easier for me to wait. I was a lot more ancy when it was falling apart every other week.
Vickie's right about the new thread I think. I haven't been around here to post in months and this was the only thread on the front page that I had posted in. :D

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
"Some might call this Aronofsky's Magnolia"...
Yikes, I hope not.;)
Sorry, Magnolia fans, couldn't resist.
I didn't realize that the aborted version of the story and the present one were so different. I'm holding out hope that the budget limitations of the version we're about to see spurred Aronofsky to even greater heights of creativity (as often can happen).
Anyhow, great to see this film with a solid release date. I'd say this is my most anticipated release this year (well...neck and neck with Superman Returns, at least).
--Jefferson Morris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks