What's new

Darren Aronofsky's sci-fi epic "The Fountain" set to go (1 Viewer)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The images looked great but the trailer just didn't feel well cut to me.

Mike.P

Second Unit
Teaser has me all tingly for this. Big Requiem fan, have Pi but haven't gotten around to viewing it yet...This has a chance to be something special, at least on a visual level.

Nick C.

Second Unit
The images looked great but the trailer just didn't feel well cut to me.
Well technically this is just a teaser, a quickie without much in the way of 'scenes' revealing plot, more just to pique interest... But speaking of well made trailers, 'Munich' looks terrific

John Doran

Screenwriter
can someone give me a synopsis of the story? or at least the source material? i just saw the teaser and loved it...

thanks.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
john,
I haven't looked into it much at all (I did pre-order the graphic novel being released soon, but I am debating whether to read it until I've seen the film). Here is what I know. The Fountain refers to the fountain of youth, and the story takes place in the past (1500), the present (2006), and the future (2500). In all cases, Hugh's character is seeking the fountain and his love. That's all I know, all I want to know, and all I need to know.
There are more detailed synopses floating around, but I am avoiding them :)
This could be something extraordinary,
Chuck
Besides, how can you not be excited about this...

John Doran

Screenwriter
thanks, chuck - that's what i was looking for.

and, personally, i wouldn't read the trade paperback until i'd seen the movie - as you say, the sumptuousness of that screenshot, and the possibility of a whole movie full of them makes me want to go in utterly and completely fresh.

i hope aronofsky can pull it off...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I wish it were a trade. It's a deluxe (It's Duh-Lux, son, Duh-lux!) hardcover that is not quite an adaptation. It was written by Aronofsky back when the movie seemed to have evaporated, and it's the same story, but told vcery differently. Art by Kent Williams. It is NOT an adaptation of the film, but I think I am going to hold off anyway. I want to be fresh to the story as well.
Here is a link to the GN write-up, which is a bit more detailed than what I wrote above, but not by much.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
No, it's not an adaptation. It's a new story. DA had a co-writer, and it's been worked on for years before filming. I read details about that part somewhere just recently. Sorry I don't know more. Some of my ignorance is willful, I apologize.

Take care,
Chuck

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If I recall correctly it was originally going to be a big scifi action movie with Brad Pitt but when he bailed, they lost their action budget so it was retooled with the emphasis on the characters. I think that's right.

Anyway, nifty teaser. Looks epic in the sense that 2001 was epic.

Juan C

Second Unit
Yes, it was going to have a $60 million-plus budget, with massive battle scenes between Mayan and Spanish conquistadors. Of course, by the time the project came back to life, ancient-time battles had become passé (Troy, Alexander, King Arthur etc) so Aronofsky decided to go for a more intimate approach.
There's a good script review (with some spoilers) here.

Juan C

Second Unit
The graphic novel is up for preorder at amazon

It'll be released in January 06 in the US and February in UK.

MikeRS

Screenwriter
Will I succumb to temptation and pick this up before I see the film.....

Dang, this is gonna be tough.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Oh, I picked up my copy of The Fountain today :D
But I'm waiting to see the film to read it :frowning:
So it sits in the plastic for a few more months,
Chuck

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
You might be safe to read the GN because the GN and the film are two different versions. The GN is more based on the way the film would have been like if Brad Pitt hadn't bailed. The director reworked the script to be a lower budget sci-fi film than what it was originally envisioned as.

MikeRS

Screenwriter
Yeah, this is an interesting quote...

“Sure, there will ultimately be two ‘versions’ of the story out there, but one doesn’t take anything away from the other. People may like the film more the graphic novel, or may like the graphic novel more than the film, but they will be two different experiences. It won’t be like you’re re-living the graphic novel by going to see the film, or reliving the film if you read the graphic novel. They started with the same source, and turned into two completely different things.”

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I read the graphic novel last night. It's really really good. Not only was the story and writing fantastic, the art was breathtaking. I didn't feel like the movie was being spoiled for me, and it sounds like they're different things anyway. Good stuff, I highly recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks