Darned UPS!!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jason Brent, May 7, 2004.

1. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

AAARRGGG!!

I finally pulled the trigger on SVS. After some USPS delays, it finally went out UPS on Tuesday, scheduled for delivery today.

Well.....usually when I get UPS it's here by 2pm. I have to work at 5 pm tonight. Guess what.....no UPS today! (I called to say I'd be a little late today, though)

Now I have to wait all weekend[​IMG]

Keep telling myself...patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue.....

It will be a long weekend......... [​IMG]

2. Bruce-E

Bruce-E Stunt Coordinator

Jason
    If you have the tracking number,just call UPS with the number and ask for hold for pick up.And just pick it up from Ups on Sat.

3. ChrisBee

ChrisBee Stunt Coordinator

Isn't it interesting that the major delivery services deliver at times that don't suit modern living styles?

Decades ago "the housewife" would usually be home to accept parcels. But today, many partners are out at work.

When is UPS (and others) going to discover that delivering parcels in the evenings will satisfy the vast majority of its "customers"? Not that the term means much in this context. They still think in terms of the sender as the customer.

I recently heard from a family member that they are now getting their parcels delivered in the early evening. [​IMG]

But this wasn't in the US! [​IMG]

I thought services were servicing a demand? What went wrong? :b

ChrisBee

4. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Well, before I left for work, I called UPS and the local office here isn't open on weekends.

That being said....as I was leaving my apartment, I spotted the UPS truck heading my way. I stopped him as he was entering the gates, and just picked it up from him there. I put it in the car, and now it is here.

I just unpacked it, and plugged it in to make sure it works, and everything seems to be fine (despite the shipping damage to the box)

Just when I thought I was ready to start calibrating, I found out I forgot to turn off the RS meter last time, so off to Wal-Mart to get some more batteries.

Anyway, just thought I'd post to say it won't be such a long weekend after all[​IMG]

5. ChrisBee

Unless your Wal-Mart is actually right next door I wouldn't have had the patience to go for batteries for the meter! It took me weeks before I calibrated. I was so busy enjoying the sub I never seemed to get round to it. It was so close set by ear (on music) I didn't have to adjust the gain at all. Just a tweak on the cut-off point (upwards) to remove a dip at the crossover frequency.

Have a nice weekend. However you spend it. [​IMG]

ChrisBee

6. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Well Chris, actually my Wal-Mart is next door (about 1/4 mile)

But don't get me wrong, this is the first sub I've had in my system in over 4 months. So I've been enjoying my new toy now....calibrate later.:b My Studio 60's do pretty well in the bass department considering they are in a small apartment, and are very adept with music's low end requirements. Right now everything is set by ear, and sounds pretty OK. Just the typical imbalances due to different recordings. I've noticed that some of my DVD-Audio discs seem to have a hot bass track. But for dedicated LFE on DVD's, big improvement over just the Studio's (duh..)

First thing I popped in was 'Jurassic Lunch' Definitely had a little more low end than my previous PW-2200. And more power.

Pretty scary in an apartment....the floor actually moved on that track.

I'm pretty gun shy on the new toy, though. I'll wait a few days to see if I get any complaints before I really try to stretch her legs...

My first time hearing/seeing SVS. So far I'm fairly impressed. More critical music listening later....

7. ChrisBee

Jason

I hope you get as much enjoyment as we have from ours.[​IMG]

We watched LOTR "The Two Towers" DVD for the very first time last night. Great fun. The dragon wings flapping was a memorable highlight! Or should that be lowlight? [​IMG]

That was an amazing 'floor mover' too. It felt just like a slow sonic wave passed through the room dissolving the floor as it went past! My wife and I were both grinning at each other like little kids. Again! [​IMG]

Regards
    ChrisBee

8. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

Quote:
    Isn't it interesting that the major delivery services deliver at times that don't suit modern living styles?

Decades ago "the housewife" would usually be home to accept parcels. But today, many partners are out at work.

When is UPS (and others) going to discover that delivering parcels in the evenings will satisfy the vast majority of its "customers"? Not that the term means much in this context. They still think in terms of the sender as the customer.

I recently heard from a family member that they are now getting their parcels delivered in the early evening.

But this wasn't in the US!

I thought services were servicing a demand? What went wrong?

ChrisBee
    end quote

Agreed, they should have a option for evening delivery for residential customers, even if they have a small extra fee I would gladly pay it. I do field work so I can't get stuff delivered to my office since I don't have one. That way they won't ignore the signature required and just leave the box on the doorstep, like they did when I ordered my HK recevier and was out of town. Luckly it didn't get wet or stolen before I got ahold of someone to take it inside. I am amazed the guys don't want to make a second trip to a house so they just leave stuff out in the open.

9. ChrisBee

Mike

I wouldn't be surpised if it is strictly against their own rules (or even against the law) to leave undeliverable items on the doorstep. It is probably just as likely that the rules are not adhered to. Precisely because so few people are at home during their normal delivery times.

A non-delivery record card stating time, date and nature of the object should be posted through the letter box upon failure to deliver. The parcel goes back to the sorting/delivery office to await a response from the point of delivery address. Failure to respond results in the object being returned to the sender after a reasonable waiting period. That is the European system I am personally familiar with.

Your small extra charge idea for evening delivery is excellent providing it covers the extra costs involved. Paying extra for another delivery attempt (or even for personal collection) might well focus the minds of those expecting parcels to make proper acceptance arrangements. Thereby relieving some of the pressure on UPS. If only life was that simple! [​IMG]

You usually get what you pay for. Including UPS management it seems (and their delivery staff)

ChrisBee

10. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Chris,

Yep, I'm having fun....well sort of....

I thought I had it where it sounded pretty good by 'ear'

But then, after I got off work early this morning (2am) I went to get batteries for the SPL meter and calibrate.

Experimented for hours with placement running freq sweeps to see where I could get the flattest response. I usually get a big hump a little over 40 hz in most locations. The couple of spots where I don't, there is a HUGE suck out between 55-65 hz. I played with different receiver x-over settings, combining with the subs x-over (read about Ed doing that), and of course phase.

About 3 hours later, I got it about as good as it's gonna get without a BFD. I calibrated levels with DVE.

So when I got up later in the day where I could play a little louder (I'm in an apartment, remember), I was horribly dissapointed. [​IMG]

It only sounded good when I bumped up my LFE on the receiver about 12-13 dB. Couldn't even hear the sub. I started to wonder if I was some insane bass head that only likes bloated bass. Then I started to remember about Ed's post on DVE. Sure enough......I do a search, and voila! Ed's numbers say his copy is 13 dB off.

Damned DVE!!! I only ordered it instead of AVIA 'cause it was cheaper.....now I know why [​IMG]

11. ChrisBee

Jason

Well at least you spotted the deliberate (DVE) mistake. [​IMG]

Depending on the quality of your previous sub you may find the bass sounds understated. Without the usual added warmth, boom or distortion you may be surprised at the actual levels your new sub is producing.

It sounds as if you are on the right track now though.

A weekend to remember! It was 4 days from arrival at the airport for mine to be delivered on the Monday. But it was well worth the anxious wait. Now we never stop grinning at the awesome bass it produces. [​IMG]

ChrisBee

SVS = PCi = Music!

12. Bruce-E

Bruce-E Stunt Coordinator

FedEx and Ups have to deliver all packages then start picking up the shipments people are sending for next day delivery.The same driver does both jobs pickup and delivery.The has to be back to the terminal and unloaded by a certain time.So that the packages can be sorted and sent to the airport to be sorted again and loaded on the plane.The plane has an takeoff time that cannot be adjusted or missed.

If you are expecting a package that needs a signature you can leave a signed dated note saying to leave in a certain place.Example: Please leave package in rear seat of car and lock the doors. Thanks. Or leave in garage and close door etc.
    Having to redeliver a package is not profitable for company.They will work with you to make delivery.

13. Thomas F

Thomas F Stunt Coordinator

This should be expected from UPS.

14. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Hi Jason - sounds like you are getting close to a decent set-up; it's often not easy or fast.

Now you know why Tom V measures his subs outside using ground plane techniques. [​IMG] Rooms can introduce so many variables to the FR at the listening position.

I'm glad you remembered about DVE and that your results paralleled what I found with my copy - sharing good information and helping each other avoid set-up problems is what it's all about. [​IMG]