1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

darn typos...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_Hassan, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Kevin_Hassan

Kevin_Hassan Agent

Why is it that whenever I make a post somewhere or type anything on the computer for that matter, I always have a typo?
    I'm fairly well educated, and I know how to type, yet when I'm in front of a computer the typos appear.
    I used to have to write many a paper for my film classes in college and university, and had no difficulty. However at that time I was using a glorified typewriter (wordprocessor). Maybe it was they fact that there was some sort of permanency to what was being typed as it was on paper? I just don't know....but now I need to proofread all my electronic scribbles.
    Please tell me I'm not the only one like this. I'd hate to think that old-age has set in at 29. [​IMG]
    Btw...in college I used to be a writing tutor, [​IMG] but now I get anyone to check my stuff at work. [​IMG]

2. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    You’re not getting old. It’s the paper thing. If it’s not on paper, then you can’t proof what you wrote. This is true for a lot of people. I don’t know what it is about being on paper, but if I write something on the computer and proofread it on the monitor, then I will miss the typos because my mind will somehow comprehend what I intended to write instead of what I actually wrote. Only when I print it out do the errors become obvious, and they become quite glaring when I’m holding the paper in my hand.
    This phenomenon has been documented and may even have a name.
    Oh, yeah – I remember now. I think it is old age. [​IMG]

3. Kevin_Hassan

Kevin_Hassan Agent

Brian,
    Lol. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not alone on this one. So now my ego dictates that I become a tree killer. I print copies of everything work-related, in hopes of spotting the typos.
    And yes I do recycle. There are dozens of paper airplanes around here. [​IMG]

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I edit for a living, and I can tell you that I always prefer to proofread and copy edit a hardcopy printout. It's far too easy to overlook gaffs on a bright computer monitor when one's eyes are tired. BTW, you're allowed a maximum of five typos a week here at HTF. [​IMG]