darn typos...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_Hassan, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Kevin_Hassan

Kevin_Hassan Agent

Why is it that whenever I make a post somewhere or type anything on the computer for that matter, I always have a typo?
    I'm fairly well educated, and I know how to type, yet when I'm in front of a computer the typos appear.
    I used to have to write many a paper for my film classes in college and university, and had no difficulty. However at that time I was using a glorified typewriter (wordprocessor). Maybe it was they fact that there was some sort of permanency to what was being typed as it was on paper? I just don't know....but now I need to proofread all my electronic scribbles.
    Please tell me I'm not the only one like this. I'd hate to think that old-age has set in at 29. [​IMG]
    Btw...in college I used to be a writing tutor, [​IMG] but now I get anyone to check my stuff at work. [​IMG]

2. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    You’re not getting old. It’s the paper thing. If it’s not on paper, then you can’t proof what you wrote. This is true for a lot of people. I don’t know what it is about being on paper, but if I write something on the computer and proofread it on the monitor, then I will miss the typos because my mind will somehow comprehend what I intended to write instead of what I actually wrote. Only when I print it out do the errors become obvious, and they become quite glaring when I’m holding the paper in my hand.
    This phenomenon has been documented and may even have a name.
    Oh, yeah – I remember now. I think it is old age. [​IMG]

3. Kevin_Hassan

Kevin_Hassan Agent

Brian,
    Lol. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not alone on this one. So now my ego dictates that I become a tree killer. I print copies of everything work-related, in hopes of spotting the typos.
    And yes I do recycle. There are dozens of paper airplanes around here. [​IMG]

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I edit for a living, and I can tell you that I always prefer to proofread and copy edit a hardcopy printout. It's far too easy to overlook gaffs on a bright computer monitor when one's eyes are tired. BTW, you're allowed a maximum of five typos a week here at HTF. [​IMG]