Darn the luck...A title I want is only in pan-and-scam...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Kilduff, Oct 26, 2002.

1. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I know it has been out on DVD for several years, but I still wanted to get it anyway, and now I won't be able to.

The title? "Action Jackson"

The reason? Pan-and-scam.

It was shot to be shown in a 1:85:1 ratio, but it's only on DVD in a format I loathe.

Warner has shown great care to most of their Joel Silver-produced titles...why none for this one? Will it ever be re-released in its proper ratio?

What do I do, guys? I need to see this movie to help with some ideas for a screenplay, but I refuse to see it if it's not in the proper OAR.

Should I wait for it to air on TCM? (Don't laugh...they show the occasional 80s movie.)

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I caught the opening credits on TNT a few nights ago, and the Pointer Sisters' "He Turned Me Out" hooked me.

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Chances are it is open matte not pan and scan, with the top and bottom of the frame openend up. If so, while still not OAR, you aren't losing any image.

I wouldn't hold my breath on a rerelease.

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I've got the same problem with Artisan's releases of Johnny Handsome and Extreme Prejudice which are not OAR on DVD. [​IMG] And don't get me started on Columbia's release of A Midnight Clear. [​IMG]

4. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

5. Sonny

Sonny Auditioning

I feel your pain BUT . . .
    One of my all-time favorite movies, Crossroads (1986), isn't available on DVD. I emailed Columbia Tristar asking if it would ever be released on DVD and they replied that there were no plans to do so.
    So my only option is to contine watching my VHS copy. As much as I despise non-OAR releases, at this point I'd even be happy with a P&S DVD of Crossroads. The VHS is P&S so I'd be no worse off in terms of the aspect ratio, but at least I'd be off of tape - a linear media that degrades with each subsequent viewing of the film.
    John, I'm not trying to rain on your thread, I'm just pointing out that things could be worse. [​IMG]

6. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

John Kilduff, I think Jeff Ulmer is right! I have the US laserdisc on Action Jackson and I'm 99,99% sure it is shot in open matt (like most b-action movies of the time is). So you are not missing anything on the side's, you only get more on top and bottom, and you can zoom in with a 16:9 if you want. GREAT movie btw.
    [​IMG]

7. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Action Jackson is an open-matte disc...and it was released in 1998, when all of WB's budget-priced flat titles were open-matte...

8. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

9. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

So, is that an okay to buy the movie?

If it is, than WAY COOL, BABY.

If not...I understand.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

On tenterhooks to know the answer.