Darn,, my a/v receiver does not have Compoet video imputs.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mike_frontier, Jan 16, 2003.

1. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

Ok... whats the deal or should I say what should I do.
    I just purchased an New 42" Rear projection HDTV and just found out that my nice H/K 125 does not have componet video imputs to work with my new HDTV.
    What do you think I should do as for upgrade or just hook all my equipment to my new TV instead, for example my Toshiba Progressive scan DvD player.
    I am extremely happy with my H/K 125 and really do not want to get something else. But how many of you guys are on the same boat and what did you do to make your final decision w/ your A/V non-componet video imputs w/ your HDTV?
    Just want to hear some thoughts and opinions. [​IMG]

2. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

I would go directly to the TV unless the TV doesn't have enough connections for you. Right now I use my 2 component connections on my Sony for DVD and PS2.

3. EricD

EricD Auditioning

From what I have read the best way to hook up your video signal is to go directly from the dvd player to the TV, any extra steps (more cables) are going to degrade the signal somewhat. The fewer cables and the shorter the cables the better, IMHO.
    Does the TV have two component inputs? I've started looking into getting a HDTV and most seem to have two component inputs, which I would need for my dvd and PS2.
    Hope this helps,
    Eric

4. Larry_Johnson

Larry
    I am getting ready to buy a new receiver (

5. mike_frontier

EricD,
    Yes the TV has 2 componet inputs.
    here is an pic:
    [​IMG]
    -Mike

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Ok guys.
    Look in the Receiver's section for my Receiver Comparison Table . Scroll down the Video Inputs column and you will see that the cheapest receiver with 3 HD inputs is the Denon AVR-4802 for $2500. (Yes the table is sorted by price).
    That's a LOT of money when you just need HD video switching.
    Because you are not alone in this situation (a great receiver without enough HD video inputs), I created this thread on HD Video Switchers. These units run about $200 and one of the engineers from one of the companies joined HTF to answer questions about the unit. Many of these can be controled by a remote so you can program a macro to switch the TV, receiver and switch box with one button press.
    Well you can get an HD-DSS system that combines:
    - HD from the sat
    - HD from an antenna
    - And gives you local/premium stations
    all in 1 box (only uses 1 component feed)
    Both Dish and DirectTV offer flavors of this.
    But since you can wait ... Dish Network is working on a HD receiver with a built-in hard drive to give you recording/pause/rewind capability. I believe it works for both the HD and normal channels. I think it's called the PVR-9xx.
    Getting one of these will turn your VCR into a dust-collector.
    Hope this helps.

7. Larry_Johnson

Larry
    Take a look at this one made by Zektor. It has a few more options like remote control and audio.
    Instead of one without the other.

8. mike_frontier

I just found out that this A/V receiver will work with HD TV switching fine due to componet video outputs:
    JVC RX-7020BK
    Lowest sale price is $217.88 from Etronics.com (not bad)
    Now the question is,, would I have it over my H/K hummmm ummm NO!
    Looks like I will be using my TV remote video/TV imput buttons to select the unit I want to use.
    I still can us my H/K to get sound so that works for me.
    Just be patient is all I say to myself.
    [​IMG]

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The JVC RX-7020BK has 2 HD compatible component inputs. Feed the output of the receiver to one of your TV inputs, that gives you a total of 3 HD devices you could have hooked up. (But a bit complex switching).

A 4-to-1 switch box for $180 gives you another input. And you can run direct to the TV for video, and it will convert all the digital feeds to either coaxial/optical to feed the receiver. Not bad.