Darn Deer Flies!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Tim L, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I am currently in the process of clearing alot of trees and stuff on my proerty- but lately it has become unbearable because of those biting deer flies (I live in MA)-I tried spraying off all over me but it just doesn't work and besides I don't think its too healthy (deet). I saw this crazy tape trap thingy you stick to the back of your head- http://www.gardensalive.com/product....d2=1120765652-
    Has anyone tried this? at this point I am willing to try anything-I am starting to look like a junkie with marks all over my body- an its too damn hot to wear long pants and shirts- besides they always aim for the head first (damn they are fast)
    thanks for listening-I'm just venting- but am curious too any methods I could use to deter them, thanks
    Tim

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

I don't know if it's an old wives tale since I've never lived where deer flies are a problem, but garlic has been said to be a pretty natural deterrent to bugs. Whether it's best secreted through the pores or can be applied externally would be a cheap experiment. Then again, it might just deter people coming near you.....unless you're Italian. [​IMG]

Mort

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    If fashion isn't a concern, you can always wear a headnet made of no-see-um mesh. They even make jackets of the stuff..

Like you said, it is better and healthier than DEET...

However, if you are fairly stationary and have access to an electrical outlet, a giant fan on a stand has been effective at keeping flys of all types away. I see them on the summits of ski resorts in the Adirondacks such as Whiteface. Whitefase offers summer tourists a lift up the mountain so I've seen fans at the end of the lift where the lift operators have to stand during the major black fly season there.

Jay

4. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Actually, I don't think a netted mask type of thing will work because of safety issues when using a chainsaw-I kinda need to see everything thats going on, and I am pretty far off from any electric outlet also- but garlic (yes I am Italian) never heard of that-the flies might think its really dinner time then[​IMG]
    I'm going to go to a store near me today and look at all the bug repellent alternatives they have-I don't know that sticky tape stuff seems interesting though- the bites are brutal-still after three days- it feels like I have posion Ivy or something, nasty critters.
    Tim

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

And I thought this was a post about flying deer [​IMG]

6. Robbie R

Robbie R Stunt Coordinator

I like to spend my weekends in Northern Ontario camping and fishing, so I consider myself a Bug Bite Expert. I can tell you that the only real solution is a bug jacket or bug hat. Bug spray with “Deet” helps, but its not close to 100% effective. The best advice I can give you is to try a product called "Afterbite" it comes in a pen like tube, and you dab it on the bite mark. It stops most of the itching in a couple minutes. You can buy it in most camping stores. I think Wallmart sells it too.

If you are really covered in bites and they are driving you crazy take an allergy medicine with antihistamine, like “Benadril”. Relieves the itching and swelling.

I have never tried the "gardensalive" product.

Goodluck

7. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

good advice robbie- I will check into it-this is really the first time I've had this problem- I am usually very tolerante to bug bites, poison ivy etc-I think I found my Kryptonite. I think the lifespan for these suckers is only around a month or so- hopefully they will die in August sometime.
    Tim

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Benadryl could be dangerous if you're handling a chainsaw...dozing off at the wrong time and oops, there goes your leg! [​IMG]