DarkSide of the Moon in DVD A?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Smith, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

I have heard that Dark Side of the Moon is going to be released in DVD A in March of 2003. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether this is true or not?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Doug, I've read that too, but I don't know if it's official. Hope so. The word is it will be released on March 3, 2003, which is the 30th anniversary of Dark Side of the Moon's initial release.

3. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

4. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen
    I do belive Dark Side Of The Moon will be out on DVD Audio!
    DVD Audio can handle visual stuff and Pink Floyd is visual! [​IMG]

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I'll believe it when I see it. [​IMG]

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

From the article:

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Justin, it is true that Sony put out the Pink Floyd box set in the past, but they don't have the rights to Pink Floyd now.

9. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Wasn' t there a previous discussion of this that said EMI/Captiol has the rights to all the Columbia albums now?

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, that is correct. Perhaps Sony could persuade Capitol/EMI to release Dark Side of the Moon on SACD. I think Sony should. [​IMG]

11. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

If they do release a multichannel disc I not only hope they release the original stereo mix along with it but if they are hard set on a surround mix I hope they can get Alan Parsons and the gang to do it. They are the only ones I would trust.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, I want the original stereo mix along with the original Quad mix. Hopefully Mr. Parsons will be involved.

13. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

Yes! The original Quad mix from the DSotM quad LP would be wonderful. The Who's Quadrophenia in 4 channel would be another great release (a .1 channel would be fine as well). In fact, Quadrophenia was originally recorded with quad in mind, thus the name.

14. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Justin, I agree. Perhaps Sony was trying to convey that they were not negotiating to have Dark Side of the Moon released on SACD. I don't understand the part about DVD-Audio. Anyway, no one ever knows what is going on with Sony. I don't think those at Sony what is going on either. [​IMG]

16. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, I hope you are right. I'd love to see Dark Side of the Moon on both SACD and DVD-Audio. Truthfully, I'd buy both. However, dual-high-resolution-format releases are rare. I expect the title to go one way or the other.

18. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

If they are going to use DSOTM to introduce the MASSES to a multichannel/hi-rez format, common sense would dictate dvd-audio.
    All my friends are part of that "mass" us audio types are always bringing up. They do like music, but just don't really care about high quality sounding music. But several have heard my surround system & really liked it when I played 5.1 channel dvd-audios.
    And very importantly:
    Hi-rez stereo does not interest them in the least. So a dual-layer SACD would be irrelevant.
    But if they were to learn that one of rock's greatest (or at least most popular) albums were to come out on SACD, a 5.1 channel format that they had to buy a new player for??? I can see the DISinterest in their faces right now.
    But all own a DVD player, two own HT systems (in-a-box types) and one owns a full component set-up. They obviously would have no problems playing a dvd-audio of this potentially huge money-making multichannel album. The ones that don't have 5.1 systems? This could be what pushes them over the edge: "Welllll, we do like watching movies on your surround system thingy Lance, and there's that $500 crammed-into-one-box gizmo at Best Buy we've had our eye on.....ah screw it--let's go buy it now!"
    And to me, releasing DSOTM on an exclusive "audiophile" format is a good way to scare off potential customers who don't believe in $1000 power cords or putting stones on their amps to make them sound better [​IMG]--which basically means 99.99999999% of the population.
    Let's be realistic: most audiophiles aren't rock fans--they're into classical/jazz. So why waste this awesome rock album on a format most ROCK fans could care less about?
    LJ

19. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Lance, I think DSOTM is a rock album that is loved by audiophiles, too. Besides, you're assuming that the goal is to cross-over for mass popularity. I keep seeing talk about this, but I see almost no evidence from the actual companies making the discs.

The first priority of both formats should be the high resolution sound quality. Everything else a nice treat.

20. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

The way it is written, these are two separate releases and the quad release may not be the 03/03/03 re-release.
    More recently, Brain Damage says there's an interview with Gilmour in the Christmas issue of Classic Rock magazine in which the interviewer says at the time of the interview Gilmour was working on the DD5.1 mix for Pulse. He's got tape marks on the floor of his studio to show him where he has to sit for mixing in surround.