What's new

Darkness Falls. Holy cow... spookey as all get out. (1 Viewer)

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Wow. I preordered Darkness Falls "". I recieved it yesterday and waited until last night to watch it. My wife and 6 year old are in San Diego. So it was just me and the 2 year old. I never had seen this movie before. I didnt catch it in the theaters.

I turned down all the lights. I turned this movie to reference. (Remember I have 7 Rockets, Aragon 2007 amp, Anthem AVM-20, and B4plus SVS sub) It seems as this movie is mixed really really loud. Reference was pretty unbearable. The tooth fairly lady screeches so darn LOUD you feel your eardrums are gonna burst. So I ended up sticking with about -5.

This movie was pretty spooky. All I have to say is... the surround mix is one of the scariest I have ever heard. The toothfairy's groans and moans and whispers sorround you, engulf you. Her screaches lift you out of your seat.. they are soooo loud. I found myself looking behind me a couple times. :)

This movie might have more scary parts all throughout the movie than The Ring..... but I have never seen a scarier ending to a movie than The Ring. The Ring remains supreme.

Only movie that scared me worse than The Ring was when the Blair Witch first came out. I had seen it opening night. I had no clue about the movie and didnt know it was fake. My wife and I literally slept with every light on in the house for 3 nights straight. I thought real demons had killed them kids. hehe. Needless to say I felt like a total tool once I found out... and its not even scary anymore once you know its fake. haha

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I too loved Darkness Falls (my favourite movie of the year) but a word of advice. Erase the company that sent it to you early, or else you'll get in trouble by one of the Admins.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Shock effects usually aren't very durable, which is why Kubrick's "The Shining" remains the best horror film of all time in my book. And Adam, I hope you're talking about the Japanese "Ring".

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I saw it in theaters and thought it was an enjoyable romp...and I will probably pick up the DVD...for the soundtrack...

And Adam, I hope you're talking about the Japanese "Ring".
Why? I found The Ring to be far superior to Ringu...Ringu was not scary at all...whereas The Ring scared the crap outta me...

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
####And Adam, I hope you're talking about the Japanese "Ring".####

Not to ruffle anyones feathers... but I thought Ringu was laughable. Not scary in the least.

Actually, half way into Darkness Falls my 2 year old came into the living room. I gave her about 20 opportunities to leave.... She didnt want to. She was only slightly scared. I dont think she really knew what she was watching. But I kept her snuggled up to me and covered her eyes through most of it. I also had pillow to her ear for the loud parts.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Adam you're scaring me a bit with your "just me and the 2 year old" line. Hope you don't let a child that young watch an adult movie.

On the subject of the header, I find that most horror movies that decide to show you pretty much EVERYTHING are not very scary at all. It's what you DON'T see that gives you the best scares.

In fact, the filmmakers smartly started out by not wanting to show you the ghost, but the studio forced them to dumb things down and hired Stan Winston studios to do the makeup. Really too bad because it might have been a much better film.

Dan

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i found this movie to be more annoying then scarry as it relied on to many loud sudden music cues to try and startle. this was all this movie had.

plus it was short(thankfully) less then 74 minutes of actual movie time.

i'm glad you liked it adam but mitch, favorite movie this year?

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

I agree. I saw Jeeper Creepers 2 Trailer in the theatre the other day. At first, you don't know what's after those people and I actually thought to myself that this movie looks interesting. Then they started showing the monster and I no longer have the desire to watch it.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Yeah, Adam you're scaring me a bit with your "just me and the 2 year old" line. Hope you don't let a child that young watch an adult movie
His kid...let him bring the kid up...personally...I see nothing wrong with this...I watched movies like this when I was 2 and 3...Alien...Exorcist...etc.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Adam,

Thanks for your little .02cents opinion on your take of the Darkness Falls DVD viewing.

I may just give this one a spin now.:)

I like horror films that have great surround mixes!

Later!

Gary_O

Stunt Coordinator
Looking forward to seeing this one.

Also, lets please not turn this into a "how to raise your kids" thread. If he wants to let his child watch "Darkness Falls", it's really no one else's business.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Hey Adam, glad that you enjoyed the movie. It is was a lot of fun, and I honestly don't understand the people that think that a horror film has to have some sort of literary value...just enjoy the film for what it is for Christ Sake...

And for watching it with your kid...have at it. I am sure that at the age of 2 they aren't going to know much of what is going on anyway and as long as you aren't going to blame the movie if your child grows up to put on a hockey mask and slaughter people having sex...then I am all for it.:b (Personally, if I had a child, I would have an easier time sitting my kid down for a viewing of Halloween than I would some Julia Roberts dribble...)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Not to mention, it's a pretty tame horror movie - rated PG-13, and about as scary as the rating implies.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Well I thought this movie sucked hardcore, but I was blown away by the sound in the theater.

This one might be worth picking up just for the audio!

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Not to mention, it's a pretty tame horror movie - rated PG-13, and about as scary as the rating implies.
Since when does an R rating imply that a horror movie is scarier? Gorier and more violent, yes, but scarier? To me, some of the best horror films are those that rely on content and not necessarily gore.

I enjoyed DARKNESS FALLS a great deal and found it creepier than many "R" rated horror films that have been released recently (including Jeepers Creepers). The first 10 minutes alone are exceptionally scary!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks