What's new

Darkness Falls: Any ties to The Ring (1 Viewer)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Are there any ties from The Ring to this?
I just saw an extended commercial for Darkness Falls while watching Boston Public and the first time I heard saw a commercial for this movie I said "Weird, I guess Hollywood likes that child as the 'I'm a child and I know something you don't know' character (The kid from The Ring and also in Darkness Falls). But, what reassured me some ties was the whole light house sequence.

What in the shat is going on? Coincidence or connection?

-Bert

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I haven't heard anything, so I would just assume it is a coincidence.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
BertFalasco wrote:
Would it surprise you to learn that "Hollywood likes"---in fact, "loves"---copy-cat productions and---HORROR!---copy-cat marketing campaigns of previous successful films?
"Connection"? Maybe. "Coïncidence"? Hardly!

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
I was just checking out the Upcoming Movies site
for info about this Film. It doesnt sound like The Ring
at all from the premise below.

"
This is the story of a young man (Clay) considered "crazy" by most of the people in his small town who helps the little brother of his only friend, his childhood girlfriend (Caulfield), when the boy is threatened by an evil that dates back centuries, an evil that is the original inspiration for the children's tale of the "tooth fairy."
"

-Mike

clemente

Agent
I saw the trailer before The Ring......lighthouses and kids are creepy...we can all agree on that right?:)

Ryan FB

Second Unit
When I saw the lighthouse at the beginning of the trailer in theaters I immediately thought of The Ring...weird.

Also the quick cut in one of the Darkness Falls commercials with the kid's drawing of the stick figure reminded me of a similar shot that was in some of The Ring commercials where he draws the black circle over and over...

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I agree that they look the same too.

However, if there is one thing that Hollywood likes MORE than copying a film, it's making a TRAILER that makes a film look like another hit film, even if it isn't really like the other film.

I strongly suspect that's the case here. We will have to see in regards to the actual film's similarity.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Wow...the first time that I saw the Ring and the lighthouse...I instantly thought of Pete's Dragon. I mean, there is a lighthouse in that movie as well!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
There are no ties in my eyes, just some very small similarities. THE FOG has a lighthouse too, but that doesn't mean it has ties to THE RING, now does it?

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
There are no ties in my eyes, just some very small similarities. THE FOG has a lighthouse too, but that doesn't mean it has ties to THE RING, now does it?
Incorrect sir- hence why I typed "the whole lighthouse sequence." As in a particular sequence, very very similar to the way it was on the edge of the big hill and to the left of the water, etc.

Booya

-Bert

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
These films were being made at virtually the same time, so I'm pretty sure they didn't copy the lighthouse thing. I mean, thats just a little thing anyway, and hardly reason alone to see a movie. It also was a very small part of THE RING. I'm pretty sure that I'm the biggest THE RING fan on this board, but I still say that its not being ripped off and their are no ties.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Bert...I believe that Justin and I understand what you are trying to say, yet at the same time if the lighthouse was in the center of an island and it was being filmed from the right would you then say that everything was okay and that they weren't trying to copy The Ring?

In itself, The Ring, a movie that loved, isn't original as well. It is a copy of a story from a another land, so it isn't like they have the corner on the market in the lighthouse department. American directors thought 'hey, most American's aren't going to give this Asian movie a shot, so let's copy it and Americanize the hell out of..."

It sorta goes with the people that see likeness is The Two Towers and Army of Darkness. Many have said that TT must have had some sort of inspiration in the battle segment from AOD...TT was written long before AOD was ever thought of. So therefore, wouldn't AOD have gotten it's idea from TT...the novel? Peter Jackson's vision in the battle scene is one of brilliance and one that I don't think will be 'copied' for sometime. At the same time, it would be eaasy to pick out any battle scene from any movie and pick out something you think that you have seen before.

All we are saying is that in the context of both films, while the lighthouse is a important part to the story, in the long run, it is really nothing other than a set piece. In fact, I even recall the same type shots in Needful Things.

All we are trying to say is that lighthouses are nothing new to film. I am sure that when they were putting the trailer together that they said you know, let's throw the lighthouse in there since The Ring was popular. If they did, that is great, but I am sure that wasn't an intent at all.

clemente

Agent
The trailer was made before the Ring opened and no one could have accurately predicted that the Ring would have been as popular as it was, so I strike this up to mere coincidence and both movie drawing from horror movie conventions.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Yeah I get you guys but Chuck I don't agree entirely because I know lighthouses are in tons and tons of other movies, of course. But it may have been just me but it wasn't and so I just thought of the camera zooming into the lighthouse region and what not was too close to The Ring part. If that were the case you all could grundleplop me and say it's like comparing a tree in one film to another, catch my drift?

This is a pretty good lecture on the schmuckness of Hollywood.

-Bert
Happy January 10th

Chuck L

Screenwriter
It also shows some of Hollywood's lack of originality Bert. I know what you are saying, and maybe what I said wasn't that clear.
It was not meant against you my post to you. What I was trying to convey is that if people picked out everything in a movie or trailer that looked the same, we would never get past the opening credits. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks