Darkness - December 25th 04

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Chris Brock, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

Just saw a commercial for this movie on tv last night and it looked downright terrifying. I could only find a brief 4 post thread about it though from like 2003. Does anyone have some more info on this movie? Is it a remake of a French Film? Should I expect anything special from this film? What an unusual date to release a horror film!

Although I will not see it in a theater no matter what reviews it gets. I have had too many horror movie experiences ruined by disrespectful teenagers trying to impress their dates.
    [​IMG]

2. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    It was made about 2 years ago by a Spanish director and has been released in Spain and is now available on DVD in Region 2. I thought the film was quite good with a very creepy first half but ended very abruptly. Without giving anything away, there is nothing particularly wrong with the ending but I just felt it needed another 10 or so minutes.

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Well, it will take a minor miracle to out-scare The Grudge, but this film looks strong to me, i'm there.

4. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I've had the excellent Filmax release of this film for quite some time now, and its an excellent and effectively creepy film. Balaguero comes up with some truly chilling sequences and atmosphere, and the cast is fantastic. Its always nice seeing Lena Olin in anything. As for the ending, I think its rather appropriate myself. Anyway, not surprisingly, Dimension has set on this forever here in the U.S., a tactic which has lost them sales from me on several occasions. Also, the PG-13 rating is confusing, as the film was originally given an R, though I don't see why. Maybe the MPAA changed their minds, or maybe its edited somehow. Either way, I'll go see it just to experience it in a theater.

On another note, any fan of this film really should seek out Balaguero's The Nameless (aka Los Sin Nombre). While Darkness is a fabulous piece of work, The Nameless is just spectacular. Balaguero is a genre director to watch.

5. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    I agree The Nameless is a much better film that Darkness. I should point out that there is nothing wrong with the ending and it was not the tone of the ending that was the problem rather that a lot of the film is about building up tension and atmosphere and the pay-off was shorter than I thought it should be.

I should probably wait until people have seen it to discuss further [​IMG]