What's new

Dark Spots on inside of RPTV, should I take it apart? (1 Viewer)

Johnny_M

Second Unit
I have 3 little dark spots on the inside of my 42" samsung screen. they are not on the outside as cleaning does nothing. they are only visable in brighter scenes, but are always there under every input mode and are starting to bother me. I've been searching the forums and am guessing its dirt that can easily be removed, but I have never takin my set apart before, what should I expect? It looks like there are several screws going around the tv and looks as if the top half of the tv will just lift up once they are removed. is there anything else i should be aware of? wires or cables that might be holding the display down?

any help would be great, if anyone knows where instructions are available even better. also, are the spots likely on the screen itself or the mirror? and what product would you use for the cleaning?

Thanks,

Johnny

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
I can't help you but I wanted to let you know you're not alone. I had the same problem with my Hitachi 46" RPTV. I thought of having someone come in to clean it but knew it would cost more than I wanted to pay. For better or worse the problem resolved itself. The set died so I replaced it with a Toshiba 34HFX83 HD-Ready set.

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 60" Mits, and my cats spend alot of time on the top of the TV. Hope this doesn't gross you out... Occasionally the cats get sick on top of the TV, and it seeps inside the screen frame. It has caused spots on the back of the fresnel lens (part of the screen). I took off the speaker grills, loosened the bottom of the screen, swung the bottom forward on it's hinge, and reached up with a damp dish rag to clean it. It worked.
I would avoid trying to clean the mirror if you can help it. The first surface mirrors streak easily, and it's difficult to eliminate the streaks.

Chad

Johnny_M

Second Unit
is this how most rptvs open up? i read on another post that the samsung hinges open also. so does this mean removing the screws will allow it to just open up? i just dont want to get in over my head and have things coming apart in there.

Johnny

ps.. what the heck are you feeding your cats? :)

Johnny_M

Second Unit
I DID IT!!! As usual I decided to just go for it and pay for the consequences later, but this time no consequences!! Took me a while to figure it out, but I got the back plate off of the tv, which gave me access to everything. Unfortunatly the dirty marks were not on the inside of the screen, but rather between the 3 layers of the screen!! I almost gave up, but then I thought F'it, undid the tape took the 3 layers out, cleaned them gently, and retaped em.

Now the picture is spot free!! Also, while I was in there I noticed one of the sensors for the auto focus was not fascined properly, after fixing that the auto focus actually does a decent job now.

PS, I found out how clean and take apart the screen thru searches so anybody who says they can't find anything isn't looking that hard.

johnny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks