What's new

Dark Side of the Moon on DVD-Audio?? (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Sony themselves still perfrom almost all of their work in PCM, and then if they put out a SA-CD, it is sourced from a PCM master.
Justin, I don't think this is true - I'll explain. Most new Sony classical recordings and pop recordings are being done in DSD at the front end. This is true for even those albums that do not initially have a SACD release planned. Sony is doing this for archiving reasons I have been told.

As for back catalog, almost all the new Sony SACDs involve an analog to DSD transfer. The Dylan series on Columbia, for instance is pure analog to DSD transfer.

francisco-a

Agent
In any event, it sounds great and that's what matters.
Really?

If that´s what you think, why not to just listen to CD´s ir even mp3!

The fact is, that if it´s sounds great on multichannel apparently coming from PCM, maybe it would sound even better on multichannel/DSD, and that´s what really matters!

IMHO.that´s what really matters

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Highly doubt that Francisco-a

I haven't seen anyone complain about the 'sound quality' of DSOTM SACD. Maybe someone doesn't like the 'mix' but that isn't DSD or PCM relevant.

It sounds fine, and I strongly doubt that a pure PCM version is going to sound leaps and bounds better. Sure, a pure DSD sourced (for SACD) or PCM (for DVD-A) is the best way, but the difference IMHO are going to be negligible, and if there are significant differences, it's the (insert format) FAN BOYS that want it to sound different.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

In this case, there is no question which would be more faithful to the master tapes, since 24/96K is the master. If the goal is to get as accurate a reproduction of the master tapes as possible then clearly releasing as 24/96K PCM DVD-Audio will be the best way to get there.

Anything else is inviting colorations. That's fine too, so long as it is understood.

Regards,

Geno

Supporting Actor
See, this is why I buy dvd concerts instead of DVD-A SACD HDCD SCDU ALCD or whatever the new fangled format is nowadays.

Geno

Supporting Actor
no I always choose DTS if available.

I just saw
Live in Pompei on standard DVD. drooling over that one.
Im looking for an orchestral dvd for Handel, mozart, bethoven and the like.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
You would think it would be just as easy to make a DSD version for SACD, but this in actuality is not the case. Take a look at the recent Steely Dan Gaucho SACD. From the original master tapes, a Hi-res 24/96 PCM master was created which was then converted to DSD for the SA-CD release. Knowing this disc was coming out on DVD-A, I passed on the SACD as the extra unneeded conversion of PCM to DSD, alters the new digital master and hence degrades sound quality in the eyes of logical audiophiles.
(sigh) Guess I'm not 'logical' then, because it isn't clear to me than EVERY alteration of the digital master degrades sound quality. Format conversions don't need to be accompanied by degradation of sound quality. If they did, for example, any time you burned a CD to .wav, or vice-versa, you'd degrade sound quality. I have no doubt that a PCM/DSD conversion can be the equivalent of 'bit-perfect'.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Steve- I know that when I think of a DSD to PCM conversion, I always think of it as having the *possibility* of worsening the sound quality. Similar to "re-sampling" in my mind (*not* upsampling): there are good converters and there are bad ones. So I always think that if I can avoid a conversion, I will.

But one more thing to think about, is that from everything I know, DSD is immune to jitter. PCM is not. Now whether that matters... :)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Kevin Brown says:

But one more thing to think about, is that from everything I know, DSD is immune to jitter. PCM is not. Now whether that matters...
Nope. Neither is immune to jitter.

Besides, both SACD and DVD-A players have buffers which effectively lowers jitter, since the buffer output is regulated tightly.

Once we talk about multi-channel both DVD-A and SACD utilize compression (MLP and DST respectively) and the act of decompression also requires buffering, which once again serves to reduce jitter.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks