Dark Side of the Moon on DVD-Audio??

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mike_Pal, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Mike_Pal

Mike_Pal Agent

Hey, what about us people that don't have SACD, and only DVD-Audio??? Will we get a release of this perfect album for 5.1 in DVD-Audio? Soon? Anyone know anything about it?? I am dying to know ..........[​IMG]

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Since it was mastered using DSD, which is exclusive to SACD, then I would say you wouldn't want it converted to PCM for a DVD-Audio release.

It's the same thing as PCM masters that are converted to DSD for an SACD release. A stupid, unnecessary transfer step that can only affect the sound quality.

Dan

3. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

Why deprive yourself of SACD any longer? We all know it takes the cake. [​IMG]

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

An Alan Parsons remastered DVD-A with 192khz/24-bit stereo and 96khz/24-bit 5.1 tracks would be great, but I can't see it happening any time soon.

For me the DVD-A vs. SACD was solved by getting a Pionner DV-757ai last week, which play both in addition to DVD-Video. It also up-converts 16-bit and 20-bit to 24-bit.

5. Michael St. Clair

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

7. Michael St. Clair

The stereo mix was created in analog tape. [​IMG]

I'm not sure if the DSD stereo version was created direct from analog, or from PCM. I'm betting on the former.

But regardless of how the stereo DSD master was created for the SACD, it would be quite easy to do a fresh PCM remaster for DVD-A. And the PCM 5.1 mix is ready to go.

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

9. Mike_Pal

Mike_Pal Agent

So, it sounds like it will be a long wait for a copy of this classic to appear on DVD-Audio....how sad.....I wish these format wars would end...there is no reason it should even happen in the first place!!
    Totally senseless..........just what I expect from corporate minds.........[​IMG]
    To bad there wasn't a better selection of stand alone SACD players.....In the $200.00 range....I am looking into a Sony SACD player, but it is mainly a DVD player that happens to also play SACD......
    just to hear a few classics they way they were meant to be heard...I really wish I could just run out to the store and pick up either/or....
    SACD or DVD-Audio version.....
    Guess that is asking too much.....[​IMG]

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Hee, hee. I sent my Dad the SACD version to motivate him to "get with the program" and get an SACD (/universal) player [​IMG] (He only has DVD-A now too.)

11. Steve_AS

Steve_AS Second Unit

12. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Michael St. Clair,

How do you know for sure about The Dark Side of the Moon's master being PCM and then converted to DSD for the SACD release?

I thought there were interviews done in The Absolute Sound about DSOTM where the remix/restoration engineers were gushing about how the DSD technology really brought out the original analog multitracks.

Could they have reassemble and mixed the pieces in analog and then converted to DSD? If so, then a DVD-Audio's PCM tracks would also come from the same analog, 6 channel master. This is conjecture of course.

With Steely Dan's newest album, Everything Must Go, it was engineered with high end multitrack analog equipment and then converted to PCM 24/96 for the DVD-Audio. It could just as easily have been used to make a DSD version as well for SACD. There would have been one consumer version as analog-->PCM and one consumer version as analog-->DSD.

They should state right on the back cover what the source material was: analog, PCM, or DSD. It should be a law.

As for SACD, I think it's best to use pure DSD material or in the case of older recordings, analog.

If it's DVD-Audio, it should be sourced from pure PCM or analog.

I did hear one obscure pure DSD audiophile recording (I forget the name of the SACD) which was simply a lady reciting poetry and old, famous speeches with Tibetan and Nepalese monestary bells ringing in the background. I heard it on very high end equipment and it was absolutely mind blowing. The most realistic recording I'd ever heard (and it still is yet to be topped)! The clarity and spaciousness was jaw dropping and it was only 2 channel. You would have sworn that the back channels were on!

Dan

13. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

14. Michael St. Clair

15. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Dan H. said:

16. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Didn't Sony initially intend for DSD to be a storage/archiving medium for all its recordings? i.e when a disc needed to be pressed it would be converted to 16/44 PCM (I vaguely remember reading this somewhere)

17. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

18. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Yes Feisal it was originally intended as an archival format. What a terrible thing to do to a recording ad infinitum.

Regards,

19. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

20. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee