Dark Shadows (TV): Barnabas Collins makes his way to DVD!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Landau, Feb 14, 2002.

1. James Landau

James Landau Stunt Coordinator

From ShadowGram, the official Dark Shadows newsletter:

2. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Wow, this is surprising to say the least! I was certain the release of the two feature films House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows was going to be our only hope in the DVD format. Being a big fan of this series, I will be supporting this release.
    Thanks for the update, James! [​IMG]

3. Michael St. Clair

Over-compressed!

4. Gerard Priori

Gerard Priori Stunt Coordinator

I've been wondering if they were ever going to get around to this. I'm so glad that they are. I'll definitely be supporting these releases.

-Jerry

5. Harry W

Harry W Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] That is great news!I 've got the specail editon dvd,but this is great.Now I can stop taping them off Scifi to watch when I get home at lunch.Now if someone one do Magnum PI on dvd life would be grand.[​IMG]

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

My wife is ecstatic to hear this news! This IS the remake version from the '90's, right? The one with Ben Cross?

7. James Landau

Sorry, David, but no. It's the original with Jonathan Frid.

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

This is too cool; I've been giving my VHS tapes of the series to my mom in expectation that they'd eventually come out on disc, and I was starting to get worried they wouldn't. Whew!!! What a great program!!

On a related note for DS fans, Grayson Hall (Julia Hoffman) stars in Satan in High Heels, a new Something Weird release, as a lesbian nightclub owner. Worth checking out for devotees of the DS cast. Now, where's Oliver Stone's Seizure, starring Jonathan Frid??

9. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

From watching these on Sci-Fi, I can assume that we can't really hope for a very good quality presentation - maybe 10 episodes per disc would not actually degrade the picture quality.

Also, from Sci-Fi, there seems to be a random switching between color and black-and-white versions. Is there any explanation for this? Some of these look like ancient kinoscopes - were these brodcast live? Certainly the uncertain delivery of many lines indicates that they weren't doing any major editing. I may have to check out Satan in High Heels to see if Grayson Hall has as much trouble delivering lines smoothly as she seems to in the episodes on Sci-Fi.

10. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Are these gonna be on disc in any kind of order? I noticed they're starting with episode 210. I wonder why they don't start with the pilot...

11. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

Did they mention how much these are going to set me back?

12. Darren D

Darren D Stunt Coordinator

Kyle, the series didn't get popular until Barnabas Collins appeared on the scene. The show was basically scheduled for cancellation. The storylines that preceded the vampire angle took a dip into the supernatural (David Collin's mother was a witch/phoenix of sorts, I really don't remember) and the show really took a leap by introducing the vampire. The early episodes were kinda boring and some of the characters were slightly different. Maggie Evens was sorta the tough-as-nails type, for example.
    The shows were only right at about 20 minutes or so, so I can see a lot of episodes being fit onto a disk.
    I only hope that they are subtitled in English. MPI seemed bullheaded about not closed-captioning the videos, and in a e-mail received from them last month, I was told that there are still no plans to close-caption anything. Fine. Let's subtitle them, instead!

13. David Lambert

14. James Landau

Yes, according to ShadowGram, "The sets will retail for the suggested price of $59.98." However, Amazon is already listing the first two sets with an MSRP of $69.98. Which is correct? I don't know. We'll have to wait and see.

"Through sight and sound and faceless terror,
    through endless corridors by trial and error,
    ahead a blazing light does burn,
    and one door leads to the point of return."

—The Dream Curse

15. Michael St. Clair

16. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

17. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Considering that Soap Operas began life AS commercials, it's not too much a stretch to think there would be an inordinate number of commercials during the early runs of these shows.

I enjoyed the remake of Dark Shadows, however short it was, so I might pick this one up to see if the price is right.

The 10 episode thing worried me, but if you are correct, perhaps there is no need to worry.

18. Randy Duncan

Randy Duncan Auditioning

19. David Lambert

Randy, quite simply I've never been exposed to the opportunity to watch the original series! I don't think Stephanie has, either. We'd we willing to take a chance on it, as I've said...if for no other reason than to help the Ben Cross edition get put out on DVD, which Stephie loves.
    In fact, maybe I shouldn't participate in this. She's always said that if she ever leaves me, it will be for Ben Cross! [​IMG]

20. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

I hope these won't be released in keepcases. Can you imagine how much space that would take up? Hopefully they'll us some sort of gatefold packaging.