Dark Shadows: The Revival...???

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Robert Floto, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

The Digital Bits has cover art for a three-disc Dark Shadows: The Revival to be released in October. Does anyone know what this is? Is this the 1990's mini-series?

2. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Cinematographer

Doug Wallen
    It is the 90's revival series with Ben Cross, Adrian Paul, Joanna Going, Jean Simmons, Lysette Anthony and Roy Thinnes. It was a midseason replacement show that goot booted around due to the Gulf War and never developed an audience and was not renewed.

I am looking forward to seeing this again as I have lost my tapes.

The show recaptured the essence of the original very well.

3. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Cinematographer

Doug Wallen
    It is the 90's revival series with Ben Cross, Adrian Paul, Joanna Going, Lysette Anthony and Roy Thinnes. It was a 2nd season show that goot booted around due to the Gulf War and never developed an audience and was not renewed.

I am looking forward to seeing this again as I have lost my tapes.

The show recaptured the essence of the original very well.

4. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I really liked this version, too, though they went way overboard with the vampire stuff in the third and fourth hours. (That was a re-hash of the events of the 1970 theatrical movie, which was already an out of control outlandish remake of the soap.)

After they got that overwith, the series got quite good..riveting at times. It was cancelled far too soon!

I'm so glad it is coming to DVD.

Hopefully MGM has access to the longer extended version of the pilot and final episode (previously released on VHS by MPI). The longer pilot has 15 minutes of additional footage that didn't air on NBC and the final show has an extra scene or two that didn't air int he original network version.

5. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

6. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

That's definitely the burning question of the moment, along with whether or not the set will include the Dark Shadows Resurrected behind-the-scenes program.

Barnabas in full out vamp mode on the cover is way over the top. Couldn't they take a page from MPI's VHS covers, which were all very tasteful? Still the shot of the new Collinwood model is a nice touch.

7. Steve Phillips

I think the cover is awful as well, but as long as I get the series on DVD, I can live with an ugly cover.

8. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I am watching the original series right now (starting series 5) and recall seeing some episodes of the revival series when originally broadcast. Did the "revival" series wrap-up storylines or are we gonna be left hanging?

9. Steve Phillips

You'll be left hanging big time, but if you keep watching the original series, you'll see where the story would have most likely gone.

10. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer