DARK SHADOWS movies restoration/release ANNOUNCEMENT.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Darren Gross, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

2. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I wouldn't count on Warner restoring and releasing this film - it just isn't their bag.

Anchor Bay, Blue Underground or even MGM (Midnite Movies) would be a better bet.

Best of luck! [​IMG]

Gordy

3. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Well, that sucks. Apparently WB didn't pay any attention to the chat a few months ago. [​IMG]

On the positive side, to the extent there is any positive side, that leaves additional time to try to come up with the Japanese footage for the eventual release. But I'd still rather have the movies.

Warner hasn't ever licensed anything out to a third party like Anchor Bay to release, have they? All those wasted years of Warner sitting on its enormous catalog have come home to roost....

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

5. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

Thanks for the update Darren!

6. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Gordon

Mark was talking about Warner's neglect of catalog films before the past year or so. Warner has made enormous strides in releasing their catalog titles on DVD over the past year. We just wish they would have had this attitude sooner.

I have the double feature Laserdisc of these 2 films but they are full screen and I would have loved to upgrade them to DVD. I guess I'll have to be happy with my lasers for the next 5 years or more.

7. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

With all due respect, Warner 'acquired' this film with all the other pre-1986 MGM films and they probably weren't aware they owned it until the restoration project began. Maybe they would license it to an independant company - or even back to MGM.

Heck, I'd love to see both the film on nice SE DVDs. But are they commercially viable? There thousands of films urgently needing genuine restorations - not just to reinstate cut material, but because the elements are in horrendous condition. And Night Of Dark Shadows is hardly a household-name movie, is it?! [​IMG]

Seriously, I'd love to see the 129-minute version fully restored in a large, old cinema auditorium some time soon! But I doubt that it will be Warner alone who are behind it. Both films are beautifully shot and have atmosphere to burn - similar to Mario Bava's visual tour de force classics, Black Sabbath and Planet Of The Vampires for their gaudy out-there brilliance and eerie, foreboding ambience.

Gordy

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I beg to differ. Dark Shadows still has a substantial cult following, never mind it's been off the air for 30 years. MPI seems to be doing just fine selling disc sets of episodes from the series--and they sold 200-volume sets of the series on VHS for many years before that. Besides Star Trek, how many other TV series can say that? I should think that the films would sell at least as well on DVD as a good deal of the catalog material that WB has been releasing. There are plenty of obscure titles, like Les Girls, getting released on DVD, from Warner.

9. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I'm not disputing the film's cult status, it's just that I doubt that Warner would fully restore the film, with new ADR dubbing, etc - it just isn't their style. But I could see them releasing the current 97-minute version. Would the uncut 129-minute version even get an R-rating these days?

I'd love to see the 129-minute version as a lavish 2-disc SE, but I'd be amazed if it came out from Warner.

I don't mean to be harsh or negative, just realistic. Warner won't even release Performance or The Devils uncut! [​IMG]

Gordy

10. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

11. Darren Gross

The films were shot and composed for 1.85, the laserdiscs are not OAR. The laserdiscs are somewhere between a full frame/open matte transfer and a pan n'scan one. There's too much revealed on the top and bottom, which is why microphones and their shadows appear in several shots. They should not appear in a correctly composed theatrical and video rendering.

The DS DVS are selling incredibly well. MPI has been completely suprised with the sales. They had to go back to do a repress just to ship the first voume because the reorders depleted their overstock in a matter of days.

Of course, what constitutes high sales figures for a smaller outfit like MPI or Anchor Bay (where 10,000 units is a slam dunk) does not necessarily match with larger studio expectations who want sales figures in the hundreds of thousands or millions (in the case of recent blockbusters).

All of the DS sets MSRP is $59.95. If you're paying more than that, then the store is overcharging you.

12. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Stunt Coordinator

This whole discussion makes me wonder why the majors don't license much-requested cult items like the Dark Shadows films to quality minded independent DVD studios (similiar to the way Sundazed and Collector's Choice handles obscure musical treasures). It'd be a win-win situation for everyone...

Jeffrey

13. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

14. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

OK, this thread was started 11 months ago...any new info on this? Or can anyone recommend some top DS websites?

15. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

OK, this thread was started 11 months ago...any new info on this? Or can anyone recommend some top DS websites?

16. Darren Gross

17. Darren Gross